Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any bags out there that can hold a minipump, multi-tool, waterbottle, wallet, cell, and keys that don't make your back incredibly sweaty while riding?

I was out riding today around lunchtime (32deg F) and I was wearing bikeshorts, a jersey, a light jacket and full fingered gloves. I was carrying an old jansport classic backpack with my stuff and it made my back incredibly sweaty because it couldn't breathe at all. Or course once I was wet I went from comfortable to cold. :eek:

I'm not a fan of those camelback bags since I'd probably never bother to clean/refill them. I won't buy one just as a bag because they would just be pricey bags.

What do you guys use?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You could look at Deuter's aircomfort line of packs, nice mesh panel on your back that separates the pack from your back and allows airflow. You could use the hydration bag or not (and Camelbak's bags I think are better anyways), although perhaps they're a bit big for the little you carry...

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
I believe the one I posted comes without - or if you prefer Jandd has a similar pack as the one pictured but with mesh waterbottle pockets on the side, its cheaper and you have to buy the harness system separately.

Of course if theres a hydration pack you like better you could always remove the bladder.

You should keep in mind to no pack will keep you dry 100% if your exorsizing hard. I've had packs with mesh backing on the pack and a frame that suspended the pack about an inch away from my back and I even sweated with that too, simply because I was riding really hard and exserting myself and your back is one of the places on your body that sweats to try and keep you cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just throwing this in because its cheaper than most non-hydration backpacks while its on sale and for what you get its a great pack to use on a bike. It has a ventilated backside which probably doesn't do much but as the poster above pointed out none of them will keep you from sweating if you go biking. It has more storage than I will ever need for a day trip and is extremely heavy duty, the only con I can see is the desert camo color might not be to everyone's taste.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

·
off to ride
190 Posts
I know you asked if they come without the hydration bladder, but I use a MULE Camelbak - and everything you asked about carrying is what I pack into mine and I still have room for other stuff. The bladder comes out, so you can use it as just a backpak, but you also have the option of using the hydration system if you go on a longer ride. I do this on some of my longer rides.

I picked mine up off of Cabelas, and have seen some on sale - which wouldn't make it as pricey for you.

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
I have the same problem but I have to carry alot of things when I ride.
School
books, laptop, paper, 2 sets of allen wrenchs, lock, cable, etc...
riding
pedal, wrench, allens wrenchs, tubes, light, extra batteries, small towel, extra shirt, zip ties
ALso this is the only way I carry stuff back from the store.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jeffwilsonn said:
You can get a mule for 60 bucks on sale. You bought shorts to wear, gloves, a bike to ride but you are too cheap to buy a nice backpack that you will find all kinds of uses for once you have it?
thats realy true i own six camelbacks and you be amazed how mutch more you drink when you dont have to stop and take of your pack an its not that hard to clean a hydration bladder if you fill it up with tap water that has minerels so it stays fresher all you have to do to clean it is rinse it out and let it dry (dont put stuff like gatorade in it trust me i know)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeffwilsonn said:
You can get a mule for 60 bucks on sale. You bought shorts to wear, gloves, a bike to ride but you are too cheap to buy a nice backpack that you will find all kinds of uses for once you have it?
lol. It's not that I'm cheap, I figured if the hydration packs were $60 there would probably be just a 'bag' version or something like that for $20. Just trying to be efficient here. :thumbsup:

I'll look for deals on the mule then.

·
Squishy Fishy
234 Posts
I agree with N.M. I keep my camel filled with water and put the rich mix in the water bottle on my bike. I havent had an issue with my bladder getting nasty. Just rinse it out right away and throw it in the freezer inbetween rides. That bag is great, if you get one you wont regret it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.