Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I realized this isn't the right place for this question at all, but I'm having a hard time finding good info and I figure some of my fellow mtb'ers must also backpack.

I am coming to the Scranton area for a little while at the end of the summer, and I'd like to do some backpacking. I am looking for something that is no more than 3 hours from Scranton, preferably 2 or less). I just want to do a 2 day trip, out-and-back or loop is fine. And I want to do between 5 and 9 miles a day.

Does anyone here have any ideas on where to go, or at least helpful tips on where to get good info online (other than trails.com)??

Thanks a lot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Appalachian

Many years ago I backpacked the Appalachian Trail from Wind Gap to Water Gap. Nice overnighter. If you look into it check for a water station. There was one when I did it with a lean-to as well.

Let us know now it all goes.

jpramick said:
So I realized this isn't the right place for this question at all, but I'm having a hard time finding good info and I figure some of my fellow mtb'ers must also backpack.

I am coming to the Scranton area for a little while at the end of the summer, and I'd like to do some backpacking. I am looking for something that is no more than 3 hours from Scranton, preferably 2 or less). I just want to do a 2 day trip, out-and-back or loop is fine. And I want to do between 5 and 9 miles a day.

Does anyone here have any ideas on where to go, or at least helpful tips on where to get good info online (other than trails.com)??

Thanks a lot
 

·
.
Joined
·
921 Posts
+1 for the AT. I've only hiked the section from the Delaware Water Gap to New York border, but I'm sure parking at the Gap and heading south is also nice. I think it's also probably the closest legal backcountry camping coming from Scranton.

The other option in the driving 2 1/2 hr range would be Rothrock / Midstate trail. There are more trail options allowing you to loop instead of out and back.
 

·
trail addict
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
jpramick said:
So I realized this isn't the right place for this question at all, but I'm having a hard time finding good info and I figure some of my fellow mtb'ers must also backpack.

I am coming to the Scranton area for a little while at the end of the summer, and I'd like to do some backpacking. I am looking for something that is no more than 3 hours from Scranton, preferably 2 or less). I just want to do a 2 day trip, out-and-back or loop is fine. And I want to do between 5 and 9 miles a day.

Does anyone here have any ideas on where to go, or at least helpful tips on where to get good info online (other than trails.com)??

Thanks a lot
From Scranton, you will be (fairly) close to World's End State Park... the Loyalsock Trail is like 50-60 miles, but may also be broken up and included with other trails that intersect in the park and many trailhead access points to the LT. You could probably make a pretty nice loop of nearly any size with some planning. The trail follows the Loyalsock (and other small tributaries) enough that with a good filter, you should have many water access points. I was quite impressed with how clean the creek is, there isn't a lot of development or farming in the area. Some of the landscape there is among the most dramatic I've seen in PA. We only camped 2 nights, but we squeezed a lot of hiking in during the days. If you can get out that way, I highly recommend trying to get to the Haystacks area.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/worldsend.aspx

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/loyalsock.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm thinking I will do something in the Loyalsock State Forest/Worlds End State Park Area. I was looking at doing something with the Loyalsock trail and either the Worlds End Trail or the Link Trail.

I am having a hard time finding a map that includes all of this. The maps for Worlds End State Park cutoff before where any of these trails intersect, and I just can't find an online map of the Loyalsock trail.

Also, I can't find info on camping other than at established car-camping sites, which is not what I am looking for. Can I pretty much camp anywhere along these trails?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks
 

·
.
Joined
·
921 Posts
jpramick said:
I am having a hard time finding a map that includes all of this. The maps for Worlds End State Park cutoff before where any of these trails intersect, and I just can't find an online map of the Loyalsock trail.
Click on the second link in Uncle 6 Pack's post

jpramick said:
Also, I can't find info on camping other than at established car-camping sites, which is not what I am looking for. Can I pretty much camp anywhere along these trails?
Camping in PA State Forest Rules
As long as you're within Loyalsock St Forest, and not within Worlds End St Park or any portions of the trail that cross private land. I believe normal etiquette is is 100ft from trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been considering that too, but I'm trying to squeeze lots of fun in to a short time , so I'm trying to keep it to a 1 nighter. What do you think about doing it in 2 big days? Is it rough or really hilly terrain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Just something to point out, if you ever want a map just call the state/forest park. I've called several times and have had great maps mailed to me for free. They're really friendly about it, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
jpramick said:
I've been considering that too, but I'm trying to squeeze lots of fun in to a short time , so I'm trying to keep it to a 1 nighter. What do you think about doing it in 2 big days? Is it rough or really hilly terrain?
We did it in two days, don't get me wrong, you are moving and I was not in nearly good enough shape at the time but I made it :thumbsup:
 

·
Run With The Wind
Joined
·
47 Posts
Backpacking

What type of backpacking do you plan on doing (lesure, fastpack, ultralite, etc) and how much trail are you looking to cover ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LarryFahn said:
RALPH! Stop up Hubbard or Cedar in Dickson when you're in!
Hey rob. You working at cedar these days? Last time I was in there I didn't recognize anyone anymore. It made me sad.
But I'll try to stop in or come to a Thursday ride while I'm in
 

·
.
Joined
·
921 Posts
Just got back from an over-nighter on the Old Logging Path and figured I should resurrect this thread. It was my first time on it, man what a beautiful trail. So many mountain streams with primitive camping opportunities along the way. And bonus points for actually being a loop.:thumbsup: At 27 miles, it made for a long two day march, I'd like to go back with my wife and take three days. My only regret is that I forgot my camera. Doh!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top