Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an Osprey Raptor 14 hydration pack. What are some of the items that are always needed in a backpack (tools, supplies, etc). I've never ridden with one and I'm just wanting some advice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tube(s), pump, patch kit, CO2 cart (if you used them), couple of zip ties, multi tool, and a small first aid kit.

And of course, a couple of powerbars stuffed into the waistband

I have just started using this pack and so far, it has been the best fitting one.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Just purchased an Osprey Raptor 14 hydration pack. What are some of the items that are always needed in a backpack (tools, supplies, etc). I've never ridden with one and I'm just wanting some advice.
I just got this bag myself (ditched a Camelbak Mule). Haven't ridden with it yet, but I do like the storage set up and pockets. I ride tubeless, but still carry a tube, a pump, patch kit, first aid kit, clif bars, multi-tool, rain jacket and lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is a list of items you can find in my Raptor 10.
Tubes - 26 & 29er
Bike multi-tool
Zip ties
Small first aid kit
Tube Patch kit
Blackburn Mammoth pump
Genuine Innovations Ultra Flat Plus - CO2 inflator
Rear derailleur hanger
Powerlink-chain link repair - Both saves you from having to walking back to your vehicle.
Spoke wrench
Tire levers - Maxxis
Electrical tape
Disposable wipes
Cash
ID
Cell phone - not that you might get a signal.
Leatherman - Heavy, but hey, ya never know when you might need it.
Clif bars

To take weight off my back, I put the heavier items into my under seat bag.

Hope this helps.

Ride On!! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
M.U.L.E.
Pump
Patch kit
Tube
first aid kit with extras. ie that self sticking wrap for big cuts.
Leatherman
bike specific multi tool.
quick links (2)
zip ties
electrical tape
tire levers.
Map
rag
small survival kit (lighter, water purification tabs, mirror, cordage, TP)

·
Registered
302 Posts
What I got...

TOP ROW (Left to Right):
*Tire Patch Kit
*Weather-proof matches (?)
*Spare Small Parts Kit (Chain link,Valve core/extender, QR spring)
*Multi-Tool w/ Chain Breaker
*LED light
*Yellow chalk (trail marker)
BOTTOM ROW (Left to Right):
*1st Aid Kit ( Advil, Band-aids, Ointments, A few stick-um note pads, Pennies)
*Zip-Ties
*Alcohol spray
*Krazy Glue
*3' Duck Tape wrapped in a small mech pencil
*Spare deraillleur hanger& QR nut
*Mini-utility tool & safety pins
*Orange trail-marker tape & tube patch kit

I keep these items in a thicker 6"x3.5" Zip-bag but I leave the Mini-tool, LED light & Mini-utility tool out for quick access.

(left to Right)
*Rolled plastic bag
*Tire levers
*Thin rubber gloves
*Mini-Pump
*White Bandana
*Spare Tube

I leave the pump out. The rest is all kept in a small sock then in a baggie to keep it dry. The sock doubles for a rag and the white bandana layed out so I don't loose small parts in the trail.

All together in the pack w/ room for phone and snacks. I use Osprey Talon 4 Lumbar pack in the summer & Ogio MX 70oz backpack when it gets cold. For a quick spin - car remote, cell phone and some water is all I stuff in the back jersey pocket.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When I go on short rides from the house (under 90 minutes or so) I carry only a cell phone and water bottle. It's awsome to ride with no pack or extra crap on your bike. If I flat or break, a max six mile walk back to the house is no biggie, in fact it's no hassle at all. In three years I have only had to do it once.

Longer rides/Guiding

Tubes - 26 & 29er
CB's Bike multi-tool
Zip ties
Comprehensive first aid kit w/space blanket
Patch kit
Mini pump
Rear derailleur hanger
SLX Derailleur
Quicklinks 9sp and 10sp
Spoke wrench
Tire levers - Maxxis for me as well
Disposable wipes
$20 in Fives
ID
Cell phone
Leatherman tool
Food items/gels
lighter
Cottonballs coated with vasoline for fire starter
water purification tablets
Princton Tec light
Rain Jacket and helmet cover

Sounds like a lot of crap but it's not really all that bad to carry in my Osprey pack

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have also tried both the Osprey Raptor and the Camelbak packs and prefers the Osprey over Camelbak. The supports at the back and on the hydration bladder for Osprey makes everything feel much more stable and keeps everything in shape better than the Camelback.

I only do short shuttled rides so I don't carry much with me:
A spare tube (mainly for handing out to others since I run tubeless)
2 to 3 tire levers (same as above)
A hand pump (same as above)
Anti-fog spray
a powerlink
Sports drink - a bottle of Gatorade
Multi tool (includes chain tool)
A Pelican hard case for smart phone to prevent the phone from being crushed in a crash

·
mtbr'er
219 Posts
One thing I want to add about the duct tape - you don't need the whole roll! Well.... wait, maybe you do... But most likely a smaller amount will do. I wrap mine neatly around my handpump. It's well kept, out of the way, and you'll never forget it - and trust me, there's validity in the old saying "If you can't duck it, [email protected]#$ it"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.