Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These past few years, my desire to ride super popular, crowded trails has been waning pretty hard. I still ride them often, but very much prefer waking up early, jumping in the truck with a cup of coffee and making my way into the middle of nowhere for some chunky, broken down remote trails. Reclaimed fall lines and old hiking trail, fire road climbs that feel like they lead nowhere, and no phone service really seem to tickle me fancy lately.

What are your favorites? I'm thinking stuff along the lines of Gold Ridge #47, and even more remote if possible. Broken, unmaintained, steep... I'm in for all of it. Driving distance isn't a huge factor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some of the unofficial moto trails on the SF Peaks in Flag have a backcountry feel. Mace's Revenge, Peaks Moto, and Lipizzaner are all enjoyable singletrack trails with some fun sections. They all also check the steep and unmaintained boxes. You can pair those with the AZT(Passage 34) for an awesome loop.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
Mingus North Bowl and pretty much all of the Mingus stuff. The route from Crown King down to Lake Pleasant.

Reactions: SingleSpeedSteven

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I've been trying to make it up there for a while now. It's definitely at the top of my long weekend trip list.
When you do, hit me up. I'd be happy to show you a couple remote, backcountry rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
I've not heard much about Goldfield Mountain area, other than it's very remote and wild.
The trails on the north side, black & red ones, are. The blue trails on the south end ride pretty well. It's a great area to explore if you aren't expecting a trail system like Hawes or Gold Canyon. I love it out there and have ridden just about everything that's been posted, sans a couple of red trails.

·
Natty Dread
mountain rider
443 Posts
Mt Graham/The Pinalenos, near Safford, have this kind of stuff. Shameless plug because I'm involved in some of the trail restoration efforts, but if you want to get away from it all and ride some rugged trails in the Sky Islands this is the the place. Ladybug/Round The Mountain/Noon Creek is a currently "open" route that will give you around 3200ft of climbing over 14.5 miles if you don't shuttle to the Turkey Flat Trail head. It's a 6.5 mile paved climb without a shuttle or you can out and back Lady Bug which involves an excellent amount of pushing. General elevation of this ride is between 5000-8000ft. Right now is prime time and the apple orchard at the bottom of Ladybug should be open at least on weekends. There's a general store at the beginning of the mountain hwy if you need supplies or gas before heading up. A little more background here: Arcadia Trail/Mt Graham/Pinalenos Mtns work weekends reports | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com) Message me if you have questions. Come join us Oct 23 and 24 when we are back out doing work and we can show you around. The goal is to get Arcadia and Heliograph Peak trails open this fall which will turn this into 6000ft of descending....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.