Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming down Will rodgers section of the Backbone early this morning having a blast. I was on my fully rigid 29er and I was bombing the rock garden section when poof.....huge slice in my rear tire. I began trying to find something(duct tape, wrapper) in my pack to wedge in there that would allow me to make the long ride home. I knew it seemed like a loosing proposition, it was a huge slice.
Down comes this other rider and low and behold he has a park tire boot in his pack. He not only totally saves my a$$, but I was able to really enjoy the remainder of my ride. I did not catch his name, but if you read this ..... "THANK YOU"!!!!!
I mean what are the odds of running into another rider at 7:30am that has a tire boot in his pack, and is generous and thoughtful enough to take time out and give it to me? It made my day, and turned what could of been a bummer of a ride into a great experience. :thumbsup:

·
GONE
27,387 Posts
Mtn bikers respect and take care of each other..... seems not as friendly when you ride the ass-fault. Wonder why....?
I will tell you why, CEB.

When you are riding on pavement, you are still in the concrete jungle. Subject to the high speed of humanity, of reality. You've got watch out for being run over. You see ALOT going on. People everywhere. In a sense, you are not getting away from it all.

Now, when you are on dirt, everything seems to quiet down. It tames us if only for a little while. You don't see as many people, as many vehicles (if any), as much crazy comotion.
You begin to respect life, see it through another point of view, an appreciative point of view.

Therefore, you are in a better mood, not so stressed, more willing to be helpful...

This is a MAJOR part of mtn biking to me because I lead an extremely stressful life. I don't care if I'm on awesome rolling, twisting ST or on a fireroad. As long as I can get away from the high speed of reality, if only for a little while, I'm in for a great ride.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Keep a 3" x 4" piece cut out of an old water bottle, and a 6" square piece of Tyvek (FedEx / UPS / USPS plastic shipping envelope) in your pack. You or someone may need it in the future, and it is free, much less expensive than a commercial tire boot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great story- Wonder if the guy is on str. i wish that happened when my tubeless tire folded in el prieto halfway through the ride and no innertube. I think the more experienced and better the rider- the more respectful and helpful they are on the trail. Usually its people who are new to the sport and or dont have any skills that carry the attitude of the city with them- or they're too worried about crashing to be friendly or helpful.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep a 3" x 4" piece cut out of an old water bottle, and a 6" square piece of Tyvek (FedEx / UPS / USPS plastic shipping envelope) in your pack. You or someone may need it in the future, and it is free, much less expensive than a commercial tire boot.
Good tip. I've fixed sidewalls with cliff bar wrappers and duct tape but this one was huge. I have to say though $3.95 for three Park boots is a pretty good deal. I was impressed with how well it worked and that I was able to ride on it at my normal pace without issue. I bought myself some to keep in my pack when it happens again or if I pass by some other poor soul who was in the same predicament as me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I really thought that was the case, that all mountain bikers are friendly to each other but i've noticed this is not the case all the time... sometimes it's like DH and XC are two different groups... just saying... but again not always...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I really thought that was the case, that all mountain bikers are friendly to each other but i've noticed this is not the case all the time... sometimes it's like DH and XC are two different groups... just saying... but again not always...
i hear you, i ride both xc and dh and have to kick my own ass all the time. If i feel like wearing spandex i will call myself a plum smuggler and kick my own ass, if i feel like riding dh i call myself a knuckle dragger and make fun of myself for not earning my turns. sometimes it can be a real bithc. :p

·
GONE
27,387 Posts
Where do you start in order to get to the backbone trail?
Technically, The Backbone trail system runs the legnth of the Santa Monica Mtn range. There are multiple areas to catch parts of the trail.

Will Rogers Backbone:

From the South end (bottom), take West Sunset Blvd. to Will Rogers State Park. This way is all uphill.

From the North (San Fernando Valley), head West (right turn) on Dirt Mulholland, from Reseda Blvd., and turn onto Temescal Canyon fireroad. Pass through "The Hub" and shortly afterword, turn left on Rogers fireroad which will become the Backbone trail. This way is all downhill.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do it as a loop from my house. I climb up Sullivan Ridge, down farmers, dirt mullholland, temescal fire road, down back bone to will rodgers, and then back home. Nice 2hr 30 min loop including the ride from my house.

·
Who's riding today?
1,439 Posts
Rode from Encinal WEST to the base of Sandstone Peak. And then back. A simple 20 miles, 2300 feet of elevation gain. This trail is amazing and not really hard . . . . as long as one is in decent condition. The views ROCK!!!!

Thats me in the red shirt, Josh & Bill in the fore ground.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.