Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people like for back-up lights? I'm looking for something small and light but fairly bright 4+ LED's that I can actually mount to my bike and isn't too expensive. Run time is not an issue since most will run for 10 hours +.

Right now we've got a Cateye HL-EL400 (5 LED), but it is bulky and heavy and kind of on the fritz since my wife crashed it, a Planet Bike BRT Spot (3 LED) which doesn't seem bright enough, but they again I've only used it around town, not out on the trail, and a Petzel Zipka Plus (4 bright LEDs), which is plenty bright and small but I can't find a good way to secure it to the bike,or my helmet for that matter.

So what do people like?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
cateye EL 200 or EL 500 opticube ?

FishMan473 said:
What do people like for back-up lights? I'm looking for something small and light but fairly bright 4+ LED's that I can actually mount to my bike and isn't too expensive. Run time is not an issue since most will run for 10 hours +.

Right now we've got a Cateye HL-EL400 (5 LED), but it is bulky and heavy and kind of on the fritz since my wife crashed it, a Planet Bike BRT Spot (3 LED) which doesn't seem bright enough, but they again I've only used it around town, not out on the trail, and a Petzel Zipka Plus (4 bright LEDs), which is plenty bright and small but I can't find a good way to secure it to the bike,or my helmet for that matter.

So what do people like?
What about cateye EL 200 or EL 500 opticube ? it is also led light. I am wondering is your EL 400 bright enough? I am researching it now. I want to buy at a shop but I am not certain if it is bright.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I appologise, I mis-typed before, we actually have a EL 300 which is kinda bulky and possibly on the fritz.

I was thinking of something very small and light as an emergency reserve light. So I was thinking more along the lines of a Cateye EL400:

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=18&catId=7&subCatId=2

or a Planet Bike Sport Spot

http://www.planetbike.com/frontlights.html#

But of course, more brighter is more better.
There is a thread on general discussion or passion where a guy uses his EL 400 for night ride. He had 4 of them attached to bike. They were very bright. You can take a look at it. EL 400 is definitely bright and light. It has version for rider to attach to helmet too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.