Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 11 years on Specialized (and don't get me wrong, I am keeping my S-Works Epic) I had the craving for another hardtail. As we all know, there is only one hardtail so the choice was easy. I ordered a new ARC from Yeti today. I see they are almost the same as the Yeti I got in 1995 or so, I was happy about that. :D

I also ordered some of the new XTR 975 wheels, cranks, dual control levers, and disc brakes. I already have most of the rest of the parts so I should be able to put it together as soon as it shows up. Yeti CS said two weeks or less. Now the wait begins...

All I need is a fork. Yeti's site says 100MM is optimal, but they told me on the phone that the frame was designed for 80MM travel forks. I think I want a 100MM anyways, but is there any reason other than weight the 80MM would be preferable?

I have my choices down to:

1. Magura Durin 100

2. Fox 32 F100

3. Rock Shox Reba SL

I have Fox stuff on my Epic and SC Blur, and have had great luck with it, but am open to other options. The Maguras seem to have gotten decent reviews and are very cool to boot. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
m4guru said:
All I need is a fork. Yeti's site says 100MM is optimal, but they told me on the phone that the frame was designed for 80MM travel forks. I think I want a 100MM anyways, but is there any reason other than weight the 80MM would be preferable?

Any opinions?
I am sure that steering will be faster with 80mm if it was designed for 80.
Climbing will also be better with 80 but 100mm may win on the down hills.
Since you have a nice fleet of bigger bikes, you can go with Yeti's recomendation to use the bike as it was desigened for. Just my 2 cents;)

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
thoughts

#1 I would ask Yeti for their specific fork recommendation - especially given their relationship with Fox, they should know those quite well.

Other than that I would steer you toward the Fox for 100mm or Rock Shox Sid for 80mm.

good luck and post when you're done with the build - I love seeing new ARCs and am hoping to get one myself soon.

m4guru said:

I have my choices down to:

1. Magura Durin 100

2. Fox 32 F100

3. Rock Shox Reba SL

I have Fox stuff on my Epic and SC Blur, and have had great luck with it, but am open to other options. The Maguras seem to have gotten decent reviews and are very cool to boot. Any opinions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the confusing thing...Yeti said they recommend 100 but designed it for 80????

I am gonna go with the Fox 32 I think, if for no other reason than there are a million places that service them and I have the most experience with Fox. I have had RS forever, but that was back in the Mag/Quad 21 and early Judy days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi. I have I recently got my arc, and i run the 80mm 08' sid team 32.. Works like a charm. I have called yeti as well and talked to them about the forks, and they said the same thing - frame was designed around an 80mm fork so i went with that..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.