Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FORK! LOL, never thought I'd be this guy but after an hour of searching I didn't find this exact question answered.

I'm going to run a 1.5" steerer on the BR that I am getting so that means non-zero stack. I have my eye on a buddies 66RC3 but I am worried that it'll mess up the geo too much with the 564mm a-c and a non-zero stack headset.

What say you? No flamin please, you have a brother who left the TBC camp comin back for more of that TBC brotherhood so help me out. :cool:

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Have you considered the Domain 318 in a fixed size of 160 or 180mm? Or if you know you don't want a full 180mm they also have the U-turn which is shorter (up to 160)?

I believe they are pretty easy to customize the travel via spacers too if you need something in between. I had one on my old BR for a while (then sold the bike) but will probably get another Domain. Much simpler than the Totem and a fraction of the price. While the damping might not be as nice, it is still pretty good, and it's not like you need the ultimate performing DH fork damping on a 5.5" travel bike.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
I'd say yes, that'll suck. I didn't like mine with a 180mm Totem and a zero stack headset. I think a 545mm a-c and a zero stack HS is about perfect for that bike.
Hmm, yeah remembering back I didn't really like it with the 180mm travis triple. I hope I can find a super deal on a 36 or Lyrik with a 1.5 steerer. Otherwise it's going to be a 160mm Domain. I loved it with the 36 and the non flush headset so i should be golden with a 160mm fork and the 1.5 headset.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My friend has a 66 on a bottlerocket, and it will work for most fun stuff, but it's totally un-trail-able. +1 for the lyrik or 36. I hear '09 55s have been better received than the '08 version. '08 domains seem to still be in stock at most places, and cheap too. I'm pretty much jealous :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Micrastur said:
My friend has a 66 on a bottlerocket, and it will work for most fun stuff, but it's totally un-trail-able.
BS, I rode a tall crown 66 vf for a season and a half then beginning of last season switched to a 66 sl ata. That old one was a little slack for the trail at times but completely controllable. The sl ata is perfect, usually have it at 6-6.5" and the steering got way faster + front end got lighter.

I'd say 66 sl ata... I crank it down to 5.5" for djs and up to 7" for snowshoe, does it all.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Archdukeferdinand said:
BS, I rode a tall crown 66 vf for a season and a half then beginning of last season switched to a 66 sl ata. That old one was a little slack for the trail at times but completely controllable. The sl ata is perfect, usually have it at 6-6.5" and the steering got way faster + front end got lighter.

I'd say 66 sl ata... I crank it down to 5.5" for djs and up to 7" for snowshoe, does it all.
That thought did occur to me. If I can find a deal on onw I might go that route. A 180mm travel adjust fork would be perfect.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
combatkimura said:
That thought did occur to me. If I can find a deal on onw I might go that route. A 180mm travel adjust fork would be perfect.
Yeah, I wish RS would make a coil totem u turn. I just wasn't interested in taking a risk on Marz, with all the QC issues they'd been having. I'm plenty happy with my solo air though, and changing the travel, while it does require taking the fork apart, doesn't take long, and isn't difficult at all.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
Yeah, I wish RS would make a coil totem u turn. I just wasn't interested in taking a risk on Marz, with all the QC issues they'd been having. I'm plenty happy with my solo air though, and changing the travel, while it does require taking the fork apart, doesn't take long, and isn't difficult at all.
So you have a Totem Solo Air and you lowered it? Hmm that would be pretty damn dope. I've seen many 1.5 Solo Airs around for about $500. That would work very nicely and would be damn stiff too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Poop! Thanks scorpionsf! Just ordered up that 160mm Domain 302. Damping will be somewhat poopy without being able to adjust it but I'll live with it. Maybe I can swap it for a Lyrik ok Domain 318is damper later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.