Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into the sport and night riding after being away for a long time. I used to have a Vistalight system with just a helmet mounted light. I didn't like the added weight on my head and being tethered to a large battery. I'm sure things have changed a lot since. I need some help being pointed in the right direction.

I want to spend no more than $500 per light. I thought of getting one light for the summer and then another in the fall. If you have only one light should you get helmet or bar? 2 hrs run time is all I need. I also want something light weight, relatively small and easy to mount on or off the bike or helmet. I also tend not to use a hydration pack in the summer especially for shorter rides I'll just use bottles and cages.

Having said that I like the Piko so far as a helmet light since it seems easy to put on or off the helmet. I'm also looking at the glowworm xs. The larger Lupine systems I think are too much $$. Any other systems I should consider without getting bogged down in choices and light geek tech stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you like the Piko and XS, also look at the Gemini Duo. Running either of these with a high capacity 2 cell pack strapped to the back of your helmet is a great set up. Since it is coming into summer, dust can be an issue with a helmet light (I'm in the southwest so it is an issue) so I prefer to run a bar light only. You can look at changing the lenses in those lights for a wide angle and use it for the bars also. Check out Action LED Lighting for light and lens options.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts