Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time in this section, usually hang out with the singlespeeder gang. Well, as the title hints, I am currently working at a job that I love with a 100 mile round trip highway commute 5 days a week. With the recent start of a family, I am doing my hardest to find a job within a 10 mile round trip by bike. I am a little familiar with commuting as I did it year round, snow and all, while in school 10 years ago on a basic 26" mtb.

So this is the situation. It would be mostly asphalt, with some gravel mixed in. Im in northern Mn, but live in town. I plan to ride the same bike year round through the cold, snow, rain, etc. I am after something not so flashy(even if it were a nicer bike id have no problem making it look like a beater so it blends in), I plan to strictly make it a single speed for ease of maint. and cleaning. I dont really want to join the Fatbike crowd, as I dont want it stolen, and for that matter, dont plan to ride where I would need that big of a foot print. Not really sure what would be the best for all these conditions either, meaning, go the cyclocross or regular mtb route. Currently ride a singlespeed 29er and a trek roadbike, but both too nice and dedicated to commute.

Looking to do $400 max. So on the list are things like, a nashbar ss 29er, a nashbar hounder with a summer set of cyclocross tires/winter set of studded cyclocross tires, or just dig up a older trek etc mtb from craigslist/pawn shop single speed it. Sorry for such a long post, but any help or input is appreciated, thanks so much for your time!!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I've got an 80s rigid mtb that was an ss and is now a fixie, and I like it a lot. Studs in the winter and bigapples in the summer. I might even try sticking dropbars on it this summer for a laugh.

So I don't really think you can go wrong with an older trek. My roundtrip is 10mi if I don't goof around, and for that distance you really don't need to overthink things.

·
Teen Wolf
891 Posts
for those purposes i'd look for an older mtb as well, strip it down, ss it, change the tires depending on the season, cheap and beaterish

1 - 3 of 3 Posts