Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this has been covered,but i was thinking about it so i figured id see if anyone had something new to say.iv been thinking recently about mabe ditching the F/S freeride and going hartail(most likely a morphine)since iv gotton my SGS i havnt done anything bigger then 7ft its all been stuff i know i cuold do on a hardtail.except for being my comfortable i can think of other benefits of the F/S.i know it has the capability to hit bigger stuff,but i dont no if i will...and i keep putting money into SGS,and i could be just gettting a morphine frame(i just got a DC for it)...anyway just thought id se if anyeon had anything to say

oh yea,just for laughs, wats an 04 SGS expert fram/shock worth?.its an 04 but i just got it in the summer form performance...so half a summer of riding on it,bothing huge.i also have a 1.5 headset,stem,bar id throw in and mabe the sherman

·
inner peace to make peace
2,294 Posts
downside on hardtails is not fitting in wider 2.5" or 2.7" UST rear tires

personally i do not see a want for a fs bike unless it's for DH racing or constantly doing big jumps. If I lilved close enough to Downiveille or Tahoe, CA; Moab, UT; or North Shore of Vancover, BC, i'd have a Santa Cruz Bullit or a Kona Coiler.

too bad i'm happy with my 5" Marchozzhi Z1 fork, because i'm curious about the 6" (6.5") Fox coiled fork.

the main downside on hardtails is not fitting in wider 2.5" or 2.7" UST rear tires. going tubeless has solved most of my pinch flats on the rear, but i could use more knobby traction than my current WTB 2.0 UST tire...additonal landing cushion would also nice.

Surly has a hardtail frame that fits extra wide, over 3" wide, tires

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
well going back to an HT isn't a bad idea and a morphine would be great but even though you have stopped at about 7ft drops, you could try to progress to a new level and go bigger....unless theres nothing like where you ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
yeah I got the "I miss my hardtail!!!" thing so I got a steelhead and LOVE it its great for campus and the DJs (if they can be called that) soooo I wouldnt say ditch the FS compleatly, get a cheaper hardtail. switch your componets over and when you get sick of it. (you will cuz everyone allways wants somthing new) you still have the full squish!!

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, the morphone is a good chioce, also check out the evil imperial. I just put 170mm on my freeride hardtail. I drop 5-7 feet on almost a daily basis, you dont really need a full suspension bike, but at the same time, once I did like a 12 foot drop on my hardtail ( didnt have as much travel at the time but still ) It was kinda harsh. Would it be possible for you to keep your FS for bigger stuff and maybe get something cheap in a hardtail ?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i guess i have the "i miss my hartail."i actually still hav eone,but its supposed to be my xc/trail ride bike.but when ever i go riding the SGS ends up coming.this might just be a phase,ya know,its winter time i cant ride much,and i wwant somehting new...

a little while back i wanted to get a hardtail for college use and what not but intended on keeping my SGS as a complete bike.now im thinking about completely getting rid of the SGS.as far as the imperial,i think based on pictures at least the morphine looks more comfortable to ride,and the geometry seeems like itd be a better all around bike.like i said,before i was just gonne build up another whole bike so i twouldnt matter,id always have the SGS but now i need a good all-arounder

1 - 7 of 7 Posts