Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i am going to the doctor next week (ealiest appt.)

Just wondering if any others have experienced this.....right in the middle of my back one vertibrate surrounded by 2 others are sore to the touch if you push hard...it is not the muscle around it.....any others have that problem and what did you do??

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Yep, get some realignment and manipulation done. I'm with coma13, dont mess with a physiotherapist, go straight to a chiropractor, they are far better in MY opinion and from MY experience..... Best of luck though, that sucks......................

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also I think the bike might be a tad too small...I am riding a medium, but could have got a large....would that be problems too

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
You should....shuttle H-bird with me a couple times later today. Gimme a ring.

I've got some rims for FredR that he wanted to have me drop off with you either this afternoon or Sunday evening (Bakersfield for a class trip Sat-Sun, at the gf's right now).

Go to a chiropractor you trust, preferably someone you know. The hitch with them is that they insist on repeat visits or do not do everything possible to get you right again within one visit. Do steer clear of physiotherapists though.

Edit: You're only riding a medium?? Aren't you like 6', maybe more?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DHidiot said:

I've got some rims for FredR that he wanted to have me drop off with you either this afternoon or Sunday evening (Bakersfield for a class trip Sat-Sun, at the gf's right now).

Go to a chiropractor you trust, preferably someone you know. The hitch with them is that they insist on repeat visits or do not do everything possible to get you right again within one visit. Do steer clear of physiotherapists though.

I will call in a few....6 feet and 1/4......but I am a "tweener" could ride a large or medium so I went medium.....might be selling the M-3 to buy a large

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
DHidiot said:

Yeah, that's why I specified "good."

Another thing, with chiropractic adjustments, people assume that you have to keep coming back just so that they can charge you more. The thing is is that your body gets used to being in a particular position and an adjustment will take it out of that position and put it into the correct one. It will have a tendency to slip back into it's previous state so it will often take a few adjustments over the course of a week or two to really get you in the right position.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
coma13 said:
Yeah, that's why I specified "good."

Another thing, with chiropractic adjustments, people assume that you have to keep coming back just so that they can charge you more. The thing is is that your body gets used to being in a particular position and an adjustment will take it out of that position and put it into the correct one. It will have a tendency to slip back into it's previous state so it will often take a few adjustments over the course of a week or two to really get you in the right position.
Ya exactly. Being a reputable chiropractor doesn't exactly mean they won't pull that crap though. I just figure it's a lot less likely to happen if it's someone he knows personally.

A week or two program is one thing, but some of the horror stories I've heard of is where they insist on 6-month to year long programs for something really minor. I wouldn't dismiss something that short.

·
Registered
214 Posts
with everyone on the chiropractor here. if possible (theres not many around) find one that does Active Release Technique (ART). Its the most amazing ****. couple yrs ago i had a growth spirt and seriously grew about 4 inches in a little over 2 months. my back was trashed. i couldnt move without looking like the hunchback. tried numerous diff doc's and diff treatments. A buddy knew a guy who worked for the Raiders and durring the off season he ran his private practice. So tried it out. was EXTREMELY skeptical, being that nothign else had worked for a good 4 months of suffering. after first appt i was moving like i was when i was 12. sure it only laster a couople days and went back to, almost as bad as before. but 4 more trips to him and i was good as new. so like coma says, there worth their weight in gold. good luck man

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
a quick fix for now can by lying face down on you bed and hang your upper body over the edge a little. Don't go as far as to cause your face to turn red though:) the weight will pull your spine a part enough to relax the muscles. a chiro showed me this, and it works like a damn

It sounds like you have what happened to me. a TT too short can causea nerve to pinch right in the middle of your back. it happened to me on the trail and I could hardly breathe. making it home too a very long time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
was it random? did it happen when you woke up one morning or was there any kind of impact at all? based on that info it sounds like a contusion but who knows. if its that bad that you have to do something about it, see an orthopedist and let them take some x-rays and/or mri's. if your sure its not muscular thats the safest thing to do.

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
i'm with vardiel. My wife had the same thing, went to get a massage to relax the muscles, they manipulated it a bit, and boom[b/]...months off fthe bike and tons o' rehabilition etc. Sounds like a slipped or a contused disc. Be very careful, but with proper stretching and re-strengthening of the area you will be fine....generally. Improper care and you could be in a world of hurt for the rest of your life.

See your doctor. Follow their advice and do not see anyone that is not a medical professional which I say includes chiropractors and masseuses. It is your back and you will need it for the rest of your life...usually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Doctor First

Get checked by the Doc first, I had a herniated disk and went to the chiropractor first and after the first "adjustment" could not even sit without severe pain that was about 4 months ago after a couple of spinal blocks I have just started rideing again The chiropractor made my back worse treat the problem not the symptom.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
also I think the bike might be a tad too small...I am riding a medium, but could have got a large....would that be problems too
Or shoveling. That's what got me a couple months ago or whenever it was we got the first decent rain around here. It still hurts. I've got to work on my technique. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
1.Get checked by the Dr. to make sure it is nothing serious (Get an MRI if you have good insurance to tell you what is going on inside) Do not get on the drugs (prednisone or stuff like that...over glorified advil).
2. STAY THE F---- AWAY FROM THE CHIROPRACTOR (WANTA B''S: they will take x-rays with a machine from 1960, tell you a leg is to short, give you sonic treatments and a bunch of other worthless BILLABLE crap. Your insurance will cover some and you will have to cover the rest.
3. Save your money from #2 and BUY an inversion table at Costco.com or somewhere else (250.00). This will stretch your back out and bunch of other good stuff. Read about it. HANGUPS.com

Hope that helps. .02

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I would definitely get it checked out ASAP. As a personal trainer, I would get fired on the spot, for advising anything other than seeing a physician (with those symptoms). Low back muscular.... not to serious, but spinal...oh sh*t. We all know how greedy health clubs are. If they turn business down, there's definitely a serious reason for it.

But, I would see a reputable chiropractor, before I would do any type of back surgery. I know many people that have had back surgery, and didn't recover. I also know of allot of people who saw a chiropractor, and life normal lives. Yes, there are follow up re-alignments, but it's a hell of allot better than being laid up in bed, and hooked on pain killers.

Good luck. I hope it's nothing too serious, us old guys have to stay healthy long enough, to keep these young fools inspired, and out of trouble. Besides that, I don't wanna be the oldest guy out there pulling wacked out stunts, like the Clutch jump you did recently.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.