Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old Trek 4500, and I do a lot of street riding here in NYC. I often back pedal after stopping at lights to get the pedals where I want them so I can start riding again. It's worked fine up until now, but ever since early yesterday the chain isn't moving backwards properly all the time. The first time it happened I thought the chain had come off because it got so loose, but it hadn't. I back pedal, and then it just stops moving and the chain goes loose. If I start to pedal forward again it works fine.

Is this normal? I'm guessing not. If not, how do I fix it? I lubed the chain and it's still happening.

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
some_guy282 said:
I have a 3 month old Trek 4500, and I do a lot of street riding here in NYC. I often back pedal after stopping at lights to get the pedals where I want them so I can start riding again. It's worked fine up until now, but ever since early yesterday the chain isn't moving backwards properly all the time. The first time it happened I thought the chain had come off because it got so loose, but it hadn't. I back pedal, and then it just stops moving and the chain goes loose. If I start to pedal forward again it works fine.

Is this normal? I'm guessing not. If not, how do I fix it? I lubed the chain and it's still happening.
It is most likely one of two things:
1) you bike is new-ish, so the cables have stretched and your rear derailleur isn't sitting directly under the appropriate cog, so when you back pedal, the chain get a little confused about what the der. is trying to do and gets hung up. You would likely notice shifting problems if this were the case. It would also be visually obvious that the chain jumped the little pulley wheel when your bike no longer back-pedalled. A bent der. or der. hanger would also cause this problem. Solutions would be to adjust the der. and make sure everything is aligned properly.
2) the freehub is gummed up. This seems odd for such a new bike, and would tend to be a consistent problem, rather than intermittent. I have had the odd intermittent freehub, though. Unless you've pressure washed the freehub, or something like that, this would seem unlikely. If this were the culprit, upon backpedalling, you would see the top of the chain go slack, but still have the chain on the rear der. Solution is to typically take off the freehub and re-lube it, but this is not really a beginner task... I'd be really surprised if this were the case, though.

Good luck,
-Damon

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info

I'll look into it later and see exactly what's happening when I'm trying to back pedal. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts