Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My ski mountain just closed(telluride) so its time to hit the desert. Just got back from a quick trip to moab. Rode amasa back to jackson trail on thurs then porcupine rim yesterday. Its amazing how the 5-spot rides and how comfortable a bike it is. The 9 mile dirt road climb to p-rim was a snap. The spot feels light and quick. The technical uphills are no problems. Just get some momentum and I was again amazed on what the bike would overcome. For anyone who has not ridden p-rim the downhill is long and mostly rough. The vannilla fork in conjunction with the spot just seems to roll over anything that gets in its way. The spot takes to the air very smoothly and lands like its on a bed of feathers. Back at work this morning and Im not even that sore(my butt is a little tender) no jokes please!!. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to share my apreciation for the 5-spot. A truelly remarkable bike that really is the apidamy(sp?) of a do it all mountain bike
Ride Hard
BSG

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,117 Posts
Moab beckons once again....

I've made four trips there as escapes from Alaska during our slushy fall season in October. The first time I went I took along my Ibis Szazbo, which was way too short in the top tube for me. Every time I'd touch the brakes on a downhill section, the shortness in conjunction with its stinkbugging nature sent me over the bars. I don't know which was more scraped up, me or my bike.

My next trip had me convinced to take my Mantis Pro Floater. It fits me well, has a more active nature than URT styles, and generally shows me a fun time. However, it left me begging for more travel, especially once you get more familiar with some of the trails and push it on long downhills.

The following two years I packed my XCE up, and saw another consecutive improvement in matching equipment to terrain. It satisfied me at the time, but now I've owned a 5 Spot since Nov '03, and think it would be the next source of my grinning progression.

We tended to make loops out of all our rides, starting and ending at the Rim Cyclery area, so an overly heavy bike may not be the best choice. I think the Spot may be just about perfect. On the other hand, in the back of my mind, something about that Porcupine Rim downhill seems like it's convincing me that the 6 Pack would be the ticket.....

Randy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup,
If I lived in moab and not the mountains Id ride the 6-pack. The climbs are just not that big in the desert and the extra inch of travel would be sweet
RMG

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
epitome

BSG said:
Well My ski mountain just closed(telluride) so its time to hit the desert. Just got back from a quick trip to moab. Rode amasa back to jackson trail on thurs then porcupine rim yesterday. Its amazing how the 5-spot rides and how comfortable a bike it is. The 9 mile dirt road climb to p-rim was a snap. The spot feels light and quick. The technical uphills are no problems. Just get some momentum and I was again amazed on what the bike would overcome. For anyone who has not ridden p-rim the downhill is long and mostly rough. The vannilla fork in conjunction with the spot just seems to roll over anything that gets in its way. The spot takes to the air very smoothly and lands like its on a bed of feathers. Back at work this morning and Im not even that sore(my butt is a little tender) no jokes please!!. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to share my apreciation for the 5-spot. A truelly remarkable bike that really is the apidamy(sp?) of a do it all mountain bike
Ride Hard
BSG
Epitome. That's the word you're looking for.

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Or...

Lutarious said:
Epitome. That's the word you're looking for.
"Oh Pity Me" as in, I wish I had one! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts