Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a great season that went well into Dec. even at 7000 to 8500 feet. Our local trails are snowed in as of last night and I got on the spin bike for the first time today and HATED every min. of it. Even with some old Social D blasting on the i pod the ride was lame and a huge let down. I really dont get how my wife can ride that thing everyday. :rolleyes: These pics are of my Spot with the kinda new 22 tooth WI gear. Diggin that :thumbsup: Any other spin bike haters out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I just don't understand people that use trainers and spin bikes. Just go ride! Build up a fat bike for the snow and keep pedaling.

Although, I would like to go to a spin class at my college. It'd be fun because I'd do better than everyone, and also because of the girls.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Natedogz said:
Can't stand the spin bike............so boring! What brakes on that Spot and how do you like them?
Marta sl ..... love them! set up was tricky but once dialed in very sweet brakes. Picket them up used for a fraction of cost . Have some El Caminos on my Turner ( they suck )

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dream on - those spin nazis can work you no matter how much time you have on a real bike.

Although, I would like to go to a spin class at my college. It'd be fun because I'd do better than everyone, and also because of the girls.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
AuntieAPE said:
Dream on - those spin nazis can work you no matter how much time you have on a real bike.

Although, I would like to go to a spin class at my college. It'd be fun because I'd do better than everyone, and also because of the girls.
[/QUOTE]
The college spin classes aren't real ones.

·
Registered
820 Posts
As we speak, those Artic blasts are entirely too cold for this pansy...:) But I don't have the clothing to deal with that just yet, and I did get in a ride yesterday. Once it gets above 30 or so, I'll be out there on my SS. Better just a 45 minute ride out in the cold, fresh air, then an hour and half spin class...gah!

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,772 Posts
can't get right said:
If it snows where you live why did you choose to live there? If no one is keeping you there against your will than you can't complain.
I'm one guy who won't complain: 6 inches of fresh overnight didn't keep me off the trail today, but the -10 F with wind did... But the real recreational use for snow is not to ride on but to slide on -- the perfect complement to cycling is nordic skiing! Awesome mtb riding out the door and 10 miles to the best groomed nordic area on the front range of the Rockies -- that's why I choose to live here -- plus a good job!

To the original point, I do some roller workouts in the winter -- great way to maintain a fitness base for spring rides and keep the lungs tuned for skiing. I've got a 45 minute workout that kicks my tail and keeps me ready for long rides on the days the temps allow it.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Anyone have any links to a good roller workout? Google can't understand what I'm asking for.

I don't mind a frigid ride on a crisp day, but I live in a northern maritime climate and we get a lot of cyclical freezing/thawing that I find hard to deal with. Not to mention there's a great deal of moisture in the air that seems to draw the heat out of a person that much faster. Once the gulf freezes over the temps will be a bit more constant and I'll prob drop the psi and go for a real ride.

Not to mention it's been gusting about 90kph (55mph) here lately about three days out of every five. I think I might set up my rollers in the shed and just leave the door open. :)

C.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Get a cycleops trainer

Schmucker said:
I just don't understand people that use trainers and spin bikes. Just go ride! Build up a fat bike for the snow and keep pedaling.

I got one of those Cycle ops trainers and it does the trick to keep the legs awake during the winter. Also, it helps you on your pedaling form since it is a fixed gear....

http://www.cycleops.com/p-329-comp-200e.aspx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've found the trainer to be a necessary evil although it's only December and I'm already resorting to crazy workouts on it. I'd rather ride at 30 around here (the northeast) than 40 anyday - that way the ground is at least frozen. In the woods even 20 - 25 is manageable for an hour and a half. As far as workouts go, lately I've been hopping off every ten minutes to mix in some core exercises. The upside to winter is that my back is feeling great. Nice pics by the way.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
I got one of those Cycle ops trainers and it does the trick to keep the legs awake during the winter. Also, it helps you on your pedaling form since it is a fixed gear....

http://www.cycleops.com/p-329-comp-200e.aspx
I guess I just ride my fixed gear all year. I had a nice ride today. About 4 degrees F. Put on about 20 miles just running errands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.