Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... after fracturing my pelvis 8 weeks ago today. It just felt so good to be able to ride again. Although it appears there isn't any snow on the ground .. there is and we are to get another dumping of at least 7" later tonight through tomorrow.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
1,711 Posts
Nice setup. Hopefully you get that snow... we were forecast a possible 4" today but it rained instead.

Looks like It will be mud riding time after work instead :D

·
Nemophilist
1,876 Posts
Tres Magnifique!

Congratulations!!!! Yes, snow is the raison d'etre of the Fatbike, but... many of us have found that we like riding them EVERYWHERE... ALL the time! Throw on those crash pads and get back in the game, eh?

Funny... we've had TOO much snow around here for a couple of months to get any riding done, and I've been sitting on a fattening arse. No grooming, and not enough proper usage to get a rideable base. Even now with a week of 40*+ we still have 4-6" of snow-cone slush lingering about. As much as I dislike Spring, I'm looking forward to it. I can't plow through two feet of snow, but 3-4" of MUD I can handle!

Reactions: Gigantic

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I hear you on that! I also was diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis several years ago .. effecting my left hip mostly. Through a nasal med back then and now through diet I have been able to keep it checked at moderate. When I fractured my pelvis 8 weeks ago, the doctor believed I had RE fractured it (1st time 1989) So this time was a little scary for me at my age of 63 and 125 lbs 5'5" lady .. would it heal properly and would I be able to ride again which I need to do for my health to keep my bones strong .. enjoy getting outside? This ran through my mind as I dealt getting around on crutches in pain, the difficulty of sleeping at night because the fracture would not allow me to sleep on either side. So I would wake up with miserable lower back pain on the hour. I don't know what was worse .. the fracture or my back .. lol .. 8 weeks later it is all behind me YAY !!

Still .. I can't stress enough to visit a reputable bike shop. Let them know of your disabilities and they will measure you and fit you to a bike that won't hurt you down the road.
Congrats!

("fit you to a bike that won't hurt you down the road" > that was a Rans Fusion ST, no fat)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey .. don't forget that I have to deal with POT HOLES !! I had been hearing how bad they were in my town while I was laid up healing from the fracture, but I just didn't know how bad they were until I rode my bike today .. O - M - G .. and I live close to Detroit ..

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Transport Land vehicle Vehicle

So I will be riding the Pugs for quite awhile until the streets get FIXED instead of my nice road bikes for fear of breaking them down. I swear the Pugs looks .. aims for the holes just to bounce out for fun ;)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Welcome back to riding! That is so great that you can enjoy the simple pleasure of riding a bike again, regardless of the type. Waiting for another big dump in the D tonight. It will fill in the pot holes at least temporarily. I just wish they would tear up the secondary roads and make them dirt- all they would need to do is grade them once in a while.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome back to riding! That is so great that you can enjoy the simple pleasure of riding a bike again, regardless of the type. Waiting for another big dump in the D tonight. It will fill in the pot holes at least temporarily. I just wish they would tear up the secondary roads and make them dirt- all they would need to do is grade them once in a while.
A good friend of mine lives near Springwells for more than 30 years. I am down in Monroe .. and I guess you have gotten wind of the snow coming our way .. especially south umm yeah Monroe County .. sigh ..

Yeah .. tearing up the Michigan secondary roads would be an IMPROVEMENT .. lol Sadly we well know have heard all of the Michigan road jokes .. and they are true :eekster:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a beautiful bike. Do you mind listing the upgrades and accessories you have on it?
Sure .. Fyxation grips and pedals, Daves Mud Shovel fenders, I swapped out the stock seat for the WTB that was on my REI Madrona mtb 29'er because it is wider and more comfortable for my healing fracture, Relevate Designs seat bag, OMM Phat rear rack. The lights are used on other bikes, not just this one, Bontrager bottle cages that I bought off ebay. That little top tube bag is a Timbuck2 Bento bag that I bought from REI on sale that I swap from bike to bike .. can stick my iPhone in while riding (really handy so I can quickly grab the phone and take wildlife pics when on park trails) I can also use that small bag for house keys, small wallet/purse .. I am a woman, small tools)

Goody Bento Box - Timbuk2 Bags

I think I covered everything on the bike. Like I said the bags and lights are used on whatever bike I decide to ride. All four of my bikes have at least a rear rack as I do almost all of my grocery shopping by bike, not car. I have two sets of Ortlieb panniers and Bontrager grocery bag.

Oh .. I sawed off about 1 1/2" on each end of the bars before putting the new grips on. The arm spread was too much for me @ stock.

Oops .. I almost forgot to list the Cateye computer.

One last upgrade will be new 2" rim tape .. of course neon green off ebay which a friend will put on for me.

Green Colorfulness Synthetic rubber Pattern Plastic

Prism Tape Choose Your Colors and Sizes Hoop Tapes | eBay

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perfect thank you. You have a great eye for form and function. I was trying to get some ideas for my fatboy.
Why thank you sir! Oh .. I almost forgot to mention this handy mirror that can be mounted on the bars, the fork .. Zefal Spy mirror that I bought off amazon for about $15. One small rear view mirror that I can use on all four of my bikes.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Audio accessory Circle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.