Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a specialized vita in a trade and I plan on fixing it up a little and riding it. back in the day (BK, before kids) i was a fairly active cyclist, a wannabe flatlander, mountain biker, and average city commuter. i rode trek and diamondback mostly.

the only bike i have had iin the last 15+ years was a beater mongoose that someone gave me and i made it usable with a handful of walmart parts and it was promptly stolen. (do not leave anything near a college, for any length of time, ever)

so, I know most people would only take this thing to the nearest aluminum recycle center and be happy they got a 5 dollar bill out of it (if that) i am actually excited to have it and looking forward to scouring ebay for a few things to make it nicer. (tires, a seat, and at some point a working groupset.)

here is a pic of the thing (women's frame? it is not pink at least so im not too concerned) if you happen to know of crank sizes or fork sizes or any details about stuff that will fit easily that would be great info. i think it is a 2015 vintage...maybe.

Attachments

·
jcd's best friend
3,323 Posts
Welcome! The Specialized Vita bike series is not exactly a mountain bike. It's a fitness bike used on city streets. When it comes to tires, I'm not sure what spacing Specialized used on the rear dropouts. Those tires could be 30-32c which would be perfect for riding on the streets. You should be able to find that tire size in just about any bike shop should you need to replace them. That bike could possibly use a new chain, shifting cables, and maybe new caliper brake pads. Doesn't hurt to refresh all that stuff!

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
Without seeing it in person, no one can tell you much other than it is going to use standard size stuff that is easy to source. It does not look that old, so unless the previous owner put a ton of miles on it, it should not need much. Looks to me like it's missing grips!

So long as the frame size fits you, that bike will be fine for paved and relatively smooth surfaces. If you want to ride mtb trails, you'll need a totally different bike though.

It's a basic bike but it's good quality. definitely worth more as something to ride. Only a fool would throw it away.

·
Cycologist
10,081 Posts
Looks like it might be a 2008, based on it being listed as being available in white in that year:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/24055

It was marketed as a women's bike but that shouldn't matter, probably only real difference is the saddle. Looks like someone may have put a longer stem on it, I think a women's bike may have a shorter top tube so a longer stem may be better for you.

Ride on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. So far i think i have it narrowed down to a 2013. It sat outside so while i think it is low miles, tires and cables are not in good shape. The frame does fit me well, and living in kansas there is no single track down hill or anything similar. There is lots of dirt and crappy roads and doing some measuring i do think a 37c or maybe a 40c would fit, maximizing its "hybrid" status.

It does seem too be standard equipped for that vintage so replacing the rot should be easy enough. More to come as a source ebay "upgrades"

NOTE: holy crap...this forum is upside down... Ive been wondering why it was so hard to follow along in the posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slow progress, new seat, new grips, and tires. single speed crank on order. and cables purchased to make the rear derailure work. also tires.... the actually difference between 29er tires and 700c tires is outside edge circumference. with that learned i have a 29er 1.9" front tire, and a 700x42 rear tire.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

a shot on one of our community bike trails, lovingly refereed to here as alleys. next time i am out i will grab some street, bike path, and side walk shots. road tires here are next to worthless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.