Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm getting back on the bike after a LONG layoff. I ride a '94-'95 ish GT Zaskar. I'm looking forward to getting back on the trails.

I'm trying to absorb all the new technology since the 90's, and get up to speed on things. Hopefully it won't take long to get my bike handling skills back as soon as spring gets here. Just working on my fitness base now on the exercise bike and waiting for some nicer weather (or some warmer clothes:D ) to get out and ride.

Darrin

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Be careful with the fork

If you have a front suspension fork, be sure to give it a good look over and trial run. A '94 probably has a RS Mag 21 and the seals are probably dead. Downside is that you can't get rebuild kits for them anymore (or find a mechanic who knows how to rebuild them). But, if you find a shop that has been around for 15+ years...they may have a kit sitting around and someone who knows how to rebuild them (I did about 20 in my time). A '95 would have a RS Judy XC which the MCU springs are probably as hard as rocks and the dampener is probably done. Bad news is again you can't get stock parts for them anymore. Good news is that MRP still produces the Total Air replacement spring and dampener cartridges for Judy's (I ran these back in 1998 on a '97 Judy SL and they worked very well).
http://ekosport.com/ta_intro.shtml

Of course, if you have a ridgid fork then I've wasted 10 minutes of my life writing this ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
If you have a front suspension fork, be sure to give it a good look over and trial run. A '94 probably has a RS Mag 21 and the seals are probably dead. Downside is that you can't get rebuild kits for them anymore (or find a mechanic who knows how to rebuild them). But, if you find a shop that has been around for 15+ years...they may have a kit sitting around and someone who knows how to rebuild them (I did about 20 in my time). A '95 would have a RS Judy XC which the MCU springs are probably as hard as rocks and the dampener is probably done. Bad news is again you can't get stock parts for them anymore. Good news is that MRP still produces the Total Air replacement spring and dampener cartridges for Judy's (I ran these back in 1998 on a '97 Judy SL and they worked very well).
http://ekosport.com/ta_intro.shtml

Of course, if you have a ridgid fork then I've wasted 10 minutes of my life writing this ;)
It's a Mag 21. I put air in it and it wasn't leaking any oil so hopefully it's OK. I haven't ridden it yet since I've gotten it cleaned up and lubed. I hope to ride enough to justify (to myself and the wife:D ) buying a new bike sometime this summer. If that works out, I think the Zaskar would make a cool road/rails-to-trails bike. Who knows, maybe I'll even look into making it a single speed.

Even though it's old-school compared to the new stuff, I like the Zaskar and it should serve my needs fine for now at least.

Gus, thanks for the welcome back! I'm really looking forward to getting back on the trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.