Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the X post from the Niner board..... just too excited about this new toy!

Just built this baby up over the weekend. I've been racing a Yeti ASR all this season and loving it, but I wanted to get a HT back in the stable. I figured giving Niner a shot would be worth while.... the EMD9 is a killer value.

Only thing to change is wheels.... these are a set a borrowed from a friend until mine come in from Stan's. I just went with regular ZTR355 rims, ZTR hubs, and black revo spokes. They should be a good bike lighter than these Hope hub wheels, with the white rims (although they do look killer!).

Build is:

Large EMD 9 moondust grey
Reba Race 29er, 100mm pushlock
Syntace F99 105mm stem
Syntace Duraflite carbon bar
ESI Chunky grips (cut down)
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
Sella Italia SLR saddle
Salsa seat collar
Magura Marta brakes, 160mm rotors
X0 gripshift
X0 med cage RD
XTR cranks
XTR FD
XT 11-32 cassette
Eggbeater 4Ti pedals
King Ti cage
Chris King headset
Specialized S-works Fast Trak tires

Weight was 22.38 lbs with the heavier wheels. I'm hoping to get it down to 22 with the new wheels and a few other tweaks. But, regardless of weight... this thing is amazing. I'm debating on even keeping the Yeti around after getting some rides in on this.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Beautiful! You are going to enjoy that rig!

I went from 100mm on my SIR to 80mm and the handling improved. I bit easier on the single track. I wonder how 100mm feel on that rig.

I cant wait to get on my new Specialized 29er Marathon.

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
Nice build.

Not sure if you can swing it, but a shorter stem really makes the bike very responsive. I went with an XL and a stubby 70mm stem and love it!

V.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vkalia said:
Nice build.

Not sure if you can swing it, but a shorter stem really makes the bike very responsive. I went with an XL EMD9, same fork as you and a stubby 70mm stem and love it!

V.
The bike handles perfectly.... the 105mm is spot on. I'd never run something as short as a 70mm and personally feel that if you have to use a stem that short, the bike doesn't fit properly (assuming we aren't talking about a DH or AM bike). I'd never go less than 100mm on an XC bike (for a person my height). They just don't put enough weight on the front of the bike for it to handle properly on a race course.

If I wanted the bike more responsive, I'd just switch the fork to 80mm travel.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ack! Spring broke in the MC Damper on my fork during a ride last night. No more push lock. Luckily the damper still functions though, I just have to twist it if I want to lock it out. Rock Shox is sending a new MC damper out to the shop, so I should be back in business by tomorrow.

Also heard the new wheels are in the shop, so I should be able to pick them up tonight. Sweet :)

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
briscoelab said:
The bike handles perfectly.... the 105mm is spot on. I'd never run something as short as a 70mm and personally feel that if you have to use a stem that short, the bike doesn't fit properly (assuming we aren't talking about a DH or AM bike). I'd never go less than 100mm on an XC bike (for a person my height). They just don't put enough weight on the front of the bike for it to handle properly on a race course.
I dont race, so perhaps my requirements are different from yours. I am between a L and XL, and for me, that combo works really well. It has been a big step up from my 26er, which was 1 size smaller but with a longer stem. Now I feel a lot more stable on the bike and better able to make rapid adjustments now than before, which really helps me at speed.

Btw, I am going to take some ideas from your build to try to get my build down a couple of pounds (am at around 25.5lb right now with my soon-to-come Racing Ralphs).

Cheers,
V.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
briscoelab said:
I agree whole heartedly with this comment and just cannot get my head around why the move by so many people to longer TT's and stupid short stems vs shorter TT's with a longer stem but presumably same overall saddle to bar distance.

I had not thought of the issue that the bars will also be placed behind the axle of the front wheel until now.

Very nice bike by the way.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
TR said:
I agree whole heartedly with this comment and just cannot get my head around why the move by so many people to longer TT's and stupid short stems vs shorter TT's with a longer stem but presumably same overall saddle to bar distance.

I had not thought of the issue that the bars will also be placed behind the axle of the front wheel until now.

Very nice bike by the way.
Sometimes, you have to have the longer TT to avoid toe overlap. I think this is the reason why a LOT of production frames have long TT's- avoidance of toe overlap for all shoe sizes and cleat posistions that might use a given frame size.

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
TR said:
Ummm... personal preference on fit as well as handling characteristics of the bike?

For example, I *like* the longer wheelbase and my body position on the bike with a longer ETT. Plus, I like the responsiveness of a short stem paired with big wheels. I have no problems getting my weight forwards for climbing either. YMMV.

On L and XL frames, that has to be a pretty damn LONG stem if it is going to put the bars past the axle of the front wheel.

V.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No offense, but if you guys want to argue about fit, do it somewhere else :)

But, I'm squarely in the short stems are stupid camp ;) I run a 145mm, -17* on my road bike :D 105 on the MTB is pretty middle of the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It looks like you are running KCNC skewers. I ordered a set, and the rear didn't reach the outer o ring, subsequently not utilizing all the treads. I measured them up to a set of Salsa's, and the rear is much shorter in comparison. It made me nervous.... Let me know if this is the case with yours? Nice build by the way!

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
briscoelab said:
No offense, but if you guys want to argue about fit, do it somewhere else :)

But, I'm squarely in the short stems are stupid camp ;) I run a 145mm, -17* on my road bike :D 105 on the MTB is pretty middle of the road.
Not arguing, just agreeing with you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.