Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rad dude.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an awesome ride. Took me a bit to find it. Is it the unspoken rule to never refer to trailheads/entrances directly? Seems like all the ride reports had very vague or no directions. Was gonna go post a ride report with a more precise set, but don't wanna step on any toes/endanger trails. Also, anyone know how the spot got its name?

Anyway I went in at 19th (off Goat Trail Road). There are some no trespassing signs which made me think twice for about a 1/4th of a second, but I'd driven half an hour, wasn't gonna let some sign turn me around. Even if they were gangin up 3 on 1 and were taller than me. I rode along the ridge a bit to get warmed up and check things out. It was about 31 degrees so almost all the leaves and mud were frozen - I got that delightful crunching sound similar to riding in snow. I saw the jumps section - dear god. I'll head back there when I've got an extra pair or three. Those are gnarly. I hit my first side-hugging downhill section to the tracks, that was a hoot. Nice and narrow, nothing like leaning to avoid a branching and being overtop of nothing :D Across the tracks I climbed the hill on the Boeing side as much as I could. Rode along that for a while, went south on a fun stretch, then came back across the tracks. Then I followed a side-hugger trail for a ways north. At some point I was on a straighter track along the top of the road-side ridge, that was fun because it was faster. Rode north for a while, awesome section, the kind that goes up and down enough to keep you working but not doing either for too long. I came across 3 runners in total, all towards the end of the ride as it got later in the day. After the first hour or so things started melting and it got muddier. There were a few nasty mud pit puddles but all save for 2 were frozen enough that I didn't feel to guilty carefully navigating them.

About 1 3/4 hours total... the magnet on my odometer's pickup flew off on my way to school a while ago so I don't know mileage, but I had a ton of fun. Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Questions about etiquette - anything you can do when you see those real muddy spots to help em out? One that was really bad I laid some sticks perpendicularly across, thinking that would help keep it from getting deeper. I came across a bridge that had broken crossing the river too - made it have a 3 foot drop or so. I used some of the tires nearby (there were dozens! And a car if you looked upstream far enough) to make a sort of ramp to hold up a broken piece of bridge so now those with the cajones can atleast ride it, even if it's not a seamless bridge. Before you woulda needed to bunny hop the 3 feet, landing on a steep uphill, haha. Just tryin to get to that "Do 5 or 10 minutes to help the trail every time you ride" bit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Red Raevyn said:
I had an awesome ride. Took me a bit to find it. Is it the unspoken rule to never refer to trailheads/entrances directly? Seems like all the ride reports had very vague or no directions. Was gonna go post a ride report with a more precise set, but don't wanna step on any toes/endanger trails. Also, anyone know how the spot got its name?

Anyway I went in at 19th (off Goat Trail Road). There are some no trespassing signs which made me think twice for about a 1/4th of a second, but I'd driven half an hour, wasn't gonna let some sign turn me around. Even if they were gangin up 3 on 1 and were taller than me. I rode along the ridge a bit to get warmed up and check things out. It was about 31 degrees so almost all the leaves and mud were frozen - I got that delightful crunching sound similar to riding in snow. I saw the jumps section - dear god. I'll head back there when I've got an extra pair or three. Those are gnarly. I hit my first side-hugging downhill section to the tracks, that was a hoot. Nice and narrow, nothing like leaning to avoid a branching and being overtop of nothing :D Across the tracks I climbed the hill on the Boeing side as much as I could. Rode along that for a while, went south on a fun stretch, then came back across the tracks. Then I followed a side-hugger trail for a ways north. At some point I was on a straighter track along the top of the road-side ridge, that was fun because it was faster. Rode north for a while, awesome section, the kind that goes up and down enough to keep you working but not doing either for too long. I came across 3 runners in total, all towards the end of the ride as it got later in the day. After the first hour or so things started melting and it got muddier. There were a few nasty mud pit puddles but all save for 2 were frozen enough that I didn't feel to guilty carefully navigating them.

About 1 3/4 hours total... the magnet on my odometer's pickup flew off on my way to school a while ago so I don't know mileage, but I had a ton of fun. Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Questions about etiquette - anything you can do when you see those real muddy spots to help em out? One that was really bad I laid some sticks perpendicularly across, thinking that would help keep it from getting deeper. I came across a bridge that had broken crossing the river too - made it have a 3 foot drop or so. I used some of the tires nearby (there were dozens! And a car if you looked upstream far enough) to make a sort of ramp to hold up a broken piece of bridge so now those with the cajones can atleast ride it, even if it's not a seamless bridge. Before you woulda needed to bunny hop the 3 feet, landing on a steep uphill, haha. Just tryin to get to that "Do 5 or 10 minutes to help the trail every time you ride" bit.
Sounds like a fun ride.
The gluch got its name when in wolrd war II japaneese imigrants hid out in it to escape going to the concentration camps set up by the U.S., but that might be all hear-say.
Those jumps are pretty big, i live 5 minutes away so i session those regulary.
Glad you had a fun ride

·
Registered
373 Posts
Red Raevyn said:
Questions about etiquette - anything you can do when you see those real muddy spots to help em out?
This is Washington by god! the Everwet State! Any such attempts are usually futile (and the don't-ride-wet-trails rule doesn't apply here -- else, go skiing instead). The only good reasons NOT to plough through some muck-filled hole is 1) you keep your feet dry longer, and 2) you never know what sort of obstacle might lurk beneath all that muck! :-| ;-)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Glad you had fun. Looked like a good day outside to enjoy it. Yeah, some of those hucks are HUGE!
The No Trespassing signs are supposedly to absolve the land owner of any lawsuits but they don't mind you riding there as long as he doesn't get sued.

As for the mud holes, putting sticks in them is only going to prolong the problem as the organic matter will eventually break down and create more mud. Best short term 5 minute trail fix is to look for the low side and offer the mud creating water a place to go instead of staying on the trail surface itself.

I've heard the same thing abut the name. Though I think it even goes back farther as it's called "Japanese Gulch" on real old maps too.

Nice to have a fun place close to home huh/ And, it's waaaaay better than Eddies.
Watch for some of the Northeast side trails when it's wet. there's some clay in there and it can get pretty snotty which can really be a bad thing when you are bombing along one of those side hill trails.

·
Rad dude.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is Washington by god! the Everwet State! Any such attempts are usually futile (and the don't-ride-wet-trails rule doesn't apply -- else, go skiing instead).
I'd sorta figured not riding when wet would be stupid, but I will now use your statement to absolve any guilt I have about mud. It was killing me not blasting them. Old childhood puddle jumping instincts, I guess.

Anti-suing was my guess on the signs too since it seems to be pretty well used. Cool info on the name, even if it's off.

My biggest slip of the day (never did more than putting my feet down, thankfully) was coming off one of the plank bridges. It was of course still frozen, and at the end I had a bit too much speed and lost both tires at once while leaning and turning. A dirtbike-instinct kick to the ground kept me up and through though, thankfully!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Red Raevyn said:
My biggest slip of the day (never did more than putting my feet down, thankfully) was coming off one of the plank bridges. It was of course still frozen, and at the end I had a bit too much speed and lost both tires at once while leaning and turning. A dirtbike-instinct kick to the ground kept me up and through though, thankfully!
That's another Northwest trait, namely, a very -- VERY -- keen respect for wooden bridges. :-]

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yah i like the Gulch it's a fun little stretch of woods. A little far for a South Ender, but if i was in the North side i'd ride there more often myself. Not a destination trail, but a good one for something different and somewhat close to the city.

·
Eat More Dirt
127 Posts
My dad said something about immigrant workers having to live in there too, someting about railroads, he said there was a ammunitions explosion there during WW2.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Gultch is the shiznit! It's so hard when you start at the bottom of the Boeing side and ride up through the trails to the gate at the top. It's exhausting. But then you get to cross over to the other side and session the flow area with all the drops kickers and big drop just before you hit the stream. That big drop is the main reason I ride there.

Then if I'm still feeling spunky, I ride up the tracks and go back down the trails on the Boeing side. Or if I'm beat, I just blast down the tracks. Great place for a quick afterwork workout.

·
Eat More Dirt
127 Posts
So you do the big drop of the ladder, or off the trail, because the ladder is huge, the only person I've seen do that is my motoX buddy and he is pretty nuts. Props if you hit that though it's pretty gnarly. Have you tried the ladder that is on the same side at the top further away from the water, gaps the trail and says RIP on the stump, it's a mean looking thing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Westrider7 said:
Have you tried the ladder that is on the same side at the top further away from the water, gaps the trail and says RIP on the stump, it's a mean looking thing.
Uh, that's a negative ghost-rider. The pattern if full. I repeat, the pattern is full.

Westrider7, did I mention I have a wife and kid? The trail gap/drop off the scaffolding is not in my bag of tricks!

Westrider7 said:
So you do the big drop of the ladder, or off the trail, because the ladder is huge.
Just the trail, but I haven't ruled out the ladder completely. I don't like the run-in right now. At least that's my current excuse.

·
Eat More Dirt
127 Posts
ya, the motoX guy hit it twice his first time on a mountain bike with his buddies BigHit, that made me feel crappy, but if it helps, a week later when he first hit it on his new Stinky he looped out on the tranny and got a concusion. Have you seen the other drop I'm talking about though, I'm gonna try and egg that guy into doing it just so I can see it done.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Westrider7 said:
ya, the motoX guy hit it twice his first time on a mountain bike with his buddies BigHit, that made me feel crappy, but if it helps, a week later when he first hit it on his new Stinky he looped out on the tranny and got a concusion. Have you seen the other drop I'm talking about though, I'm gonna try and egg that guy into doing it just so I can see it done.
That sucks. What does looped out mean? I guess it means he just ate it.

Yes, I've seen the other drop. They built up the ladder on top of the stump. That's what I meant by 'scaffolding'. Tim's Bike Shop in downtown Everett built that I think. There are pictures of some of the guys from the shop hitting it.

There's another smaller drop on the Boeing side that I haven't tried yet. It looks easy, but it has a small tranny and lots of stinging neetles. I not talking about the stump on the Boeing side, that one is easy.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Big B are you talking about the ladder that's nailed to the trees on the Boeing side? The one above the stump drop? Looks like about 12-14' to the tranny?
I've never seen anyone hit it but there's definately always tracks running out of it...
That one is nuts. but, so's the one on Clown Shoes and people hit that all the time.

As an aside, is the Gulch sliming out with the wetter weather? Seems that once the clay gets wet, it's not until late summer that it dries back out. (Meaning more the Boeing sport fields side.)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Borneo said:
Big B are you talking about the ladder that's nailed to the trees on the Boeing side? The one above the stump drop? Looks like about 12-14' to the tranny?
I've never seen anyone hit it but there's definately always tracks running out of it...
That one is nuts. but, so's the one on Clown Shoes and people hit that all the time.

As an aside, is the Gulch sliming out with the wetter weather? Seems that once the clay gets wet, it's not until late summer that it dries back out. (Meaning more the Boeing sport fields side.)
Yah, the ladder nailed to the trees just south of the ball fields. I think it's only 8'-10', but who knows. I've been too chicken, but considering I do the tree drop at SST just off the concrete path, there's no excuse. I should be able to hit it pretty easy. I haven't wanted to get my new V-tach all muddy at Boeing, so I haven't been there in a while.

It only takes a good week of sunshine to make the Gultch ridable again in my experience.

·
Eat More Dirt
127 Posts
No No No, that one is ok. If I ever go riding there with you I'll show you the one I'm talking about. Its on the other side, much bigger than that one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Westrider7 said:
No No No, that one is ok. If I ever go riding there with you I'll show you the one I'm talking about. Its on the other side, much bigger than that one.
do you read ridemonkey?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Westrider7 said:
I go to the forum once in a while, why?
Because I got to thinking about your earlier comment:
Westrider7 said:
If I ever go riding there with you I'll show you the one I'm talking about.
How would this ever happen? I don't know who you are. So I thought if you look at Ridemonkey often, you could PM me info or when you are going or something. I don't spend as much time on this forum.

·
Hold em high!
21 Posts
JG directions

Red Raevyn,

I've ridden Japanese Gulch a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. The only way in that I'm familar with this by the bridge. In dry weather this works fine. In wet weather the MUD is terrible. Could you explain in more detail how you entered off Goat trail Rd? Thanks.:D

Gene

1 - 20 of 38 Posts