Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing how much bikers like to drink alcohol, I suspect that I might get a good response here. :thumbsup:

I am leaving for a hiking and canoeing trip where I would like to take some spirits along for the end of day relaxation. I dont normally drink straight liquor, although I may end up doing it for a few days...

Does anyone have a good recipe for a cocktail of some sort that would be tasty mixed with water and perhaps some sort of powdered mix? Ice will not be available obviously.
Beer is not an option.

thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd say your best bet is flavored drink mixes ala koolaid, tang, etc... make the drink mix and mix with vodka and it will probably produce a decent tasting drink. As warm as your water supply, but I guess that's roughing it. Any sugary beverage makes a decent mixer with a neutral liquor like vodka really, so whatever you want to carry will work.

You could also try the all liquor route and take along some flavored liquors like schnapps', etc, and make drinks that contain only liquor but are still tasty, I can't think of anything off hand but a quick search on some mixed drink sites would probably help. I personally can't drink liquor warm, so I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Be a man -- get some good hooch -- and drink it neat, with a non-alcoholic chaser.

I recommend a good 100% agave tequila, like Don Julio Anejo, Espolon Anejo, or Casa Noble Crystal.

Fruity, sweet cocktails are for roadies!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I drink lots of straight booze - less wieght and less calories. You might want to give it a shot.

Good whiskey is often mixed with a little bit of water which helps you discern the complexities of the flavor.

While higher-end dark rum is very good straight, Capt Morgan is awesome for backcountry trips mixed with juice or straight.

You can also buy a durable bladder (MSR makes nice ones) and fill it with wine. We often fill one with 4 or 5 bottles worth of the same type of wine and it ends up weighing about the same as a single glass bottle.

·
gimme friction
1,119 Posts
Good quality bourbon or whisky, with just a splash of water.

Liquor goes GREAT with backpacking. So does wine. I've done the 'wine-in-a-bladder' think, but it is heavy, and it really sucks when it leaks. Don't ask me how I know...

·
UpHiller
73 Posts
Trail Margaritas:

In a sandwich bag put:

1/2 cup Kool-Aid (type with sugar) or favorite drink mix w/ sugar in it...you could use lemonade, tea, etc.

Also take liquor listed below and one lime to squeeze (or carry two lemon juice packets).

In camp take a 1 quart wide mouth Nalgene bottle and put in 16 ounces cold water. Add drink mix and shake well to mix. Add FRESH CLEAN snow to fill bottle, and shake away. Pour in 3 ounces tequila or 2 ounces tequila and 1 ounce Grand Mariner. Shake to mix. Squeeze in lime juice and shake again.

or

www.frenchrabbit.com

-Turd:rockon:

·
Ride on
639 Posts
I like good whisky when the weather is cold and good tequila if it's hot. Personally I'm not that fond of warm, sweet cocktails after vigorous activity.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I opted for the easy way, Ancient Age Whiskey w/ water as a chaser. Not exactly a summer drink, but it will do the trick. I was able to dig up a few mixer ideas on the internet, but I couldnt get too excited about carrying the extra items. Too much stuff as it is..

My favorite liquor drink is a good vodka over ice, with an olive and a spot of the olive juice thrown in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now off to bed to get rested for an early flight...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If your going to be carrying your water rather than collecting, this won't add any extra weight. Used to call it Purple Passion and brought it on all the snowboarding trips in college. Mix equal parts blackberry Brandy and Grape juice. Warms you up inside and tastes good in straight sips too. Plus it was always a hit with the ladies on the chairlift.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
In other words, you like a little dirty, very dry, vodka martini. I'd suggest shaking it on ice rather than drinking it on ice.

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
Liquor & its containment.

Straight liquor for me (tequila) whether it's truck camping in the back country or backpacking with a water filter pump. The hard plastic Nalgene bottles are ideal for liquor storage. Also their graduated lines help keep track of consumption for those of us who are....... weak.:rolleyes: Here's a pic of one of those Nalgene bottles in use by that camp stove...and from the fuzziness evident in the pic, it's apparent that consumption use based on the graduated lines is not being adhered to.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tang-Teenies are a good summer drink. Tang and vodka, just mix to your taste and get wasted. You could always pack lite and just grab a bottle of vodka and an IV unit and drip vodka into your viens like Niki Six, of course he almost died but you wouldn't have to worry about keeping anything cold or carying extra packs of mix,etc.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Dirtrag had an article a while back about how to make wine with stuff like your biking socks to filter the grapes and all that. Might have to try to dig that one up.

·
relax
120 Posts
Cognac...

Remy Martin XO Cognac :thumbsup:
Drink it strait as an accompagnment with strong black coffee and chocolate.
It's the best think you can have after a good meal.
Armagnac is a very good option too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts