Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to ride many years ago, nothing too serious and my cousin is now really into mtn biking and I've caught the bug again. Picked up a used Felt Compulsion 1 from 08 for 400 bucks. Going to start on basic trails in the IE/North San Diego areas. Any recommendations on beginner trails in Temecula/Murrieta and anybody have any experience with Felt mtn bikes, my road biker buddy swears by Felt, and it was way cheaper than anything else in the realm. TIA!

·
Registered
295 Posts
The main location in Temecula is Vailocity at the Vail Lake KoA camp grounds. Vail has a good mix of trails, but they do charge for access ($5 weekday, $10 weekend, $150 annual pass). The Bike Shop on Temecula Parkway hosts a group ride on Wednesdays at 5 pm if you can make it. They typically just ride around some of the undeveloped areas in south Temecula. There’s also X Trail northwest of Old Town. You can find it on Trailforks for the exact location.

Murrieta has some trails around the Hogbacks and near Vista Murrieta High School. There is a very popular location in Murrieta that riders can tell you about offline. It’s probably somewhere you’ll want to wait until you’re more comfortable on your bike and ready to get past basic trails to start riding there. Jax Bicycles in Murrieta used to have group rides, but stopped when the pandemic started, I was last in Jax around a month ago and they hadn’t started their rides back up, but keep an eye out for them.

I live just a few miles from Vail, so I mainly just ride there (usually out of laziness from wanting to drive any further), so if you ever want a guide for Vail, or a third wheel to join you, send me a DM.

I honestly had never heard of Felt bikes until your post, like you I used to ride and then got out of riding until I got the bug again last year. I can’t offer my opinion of them, but $400 sounds like a good purchase to see if you want to keep riding long term, or if the bug is going to be short term. You may end up wanting something more modern if you stick with biking.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Felt is known more for road and especially triathlon bikes. I imagine their dealer network is more oriented in that direction making it more difficult to get into mtb market. As such their initial entries were XC type but later have gotten into trail and enduro spectrum.
Theyre also targeted at the enthusiast and higher market, which already has tight competition. Thats why you dont see them in the larger volume shops

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, what I could find about my bike online seemed mostly positive, Thanks @Moosedriver for the advice, we're gonna hit up Vailocity soon, I'll def hit you up. Hogsback seems like it'd be suited to my skill level. I actually live in southwest Hemet, and considered Simpson Park, but seems like its out of my league.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.