Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 20 years ago today, I was riding down a trail in Phx in the Camelback mountain area. The trail dropped out and I went flying over the bars and I did my best superman impression right into a 4x4 fence post, completely destroying my right shoulder. (and yes, I won)

Laid up for about 6 months while I healed, I lost interest in my bike. It sat around and eventually got stolen.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Now an insulin dependant diabetic who takes 15 pills every day (1/3 are vitamins/supplements) I decided I needed a bike again. My three kids are all loving their bikes and we camp quite a bit now. A bike is a great way to get around the campground, so what the hell.

I purchased a new/used 2007 Fuji Police Special from the local bike co-op, along with a bike for my wife. (Ex Nike campus cargo bike thing).

I did my first ride two nights ago. Only two miles, trying to get things in order and get the feeling of the bike. Not bad.. but not good. Replaced the suspension seat post... better. Replaced the tires... better. Replaced the pedals.. better. Now... the fork. I cant find anything on the damned thing. It's a Suntour Axon AIR.

Let's see how this progresses... I'm 6' ~350 lbs as I sit in my office typing this.

And... end of ramble post. :p

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Not sure what to do about the fork but take that weight down.

I know the bike is probably a part of the plan but until I lost 50 lbs through serious diet changes it wasn’t working for me. Now 60 lbs lighter from weight gained through inactivity from injury, things are coming back. Weight and age are a killer. I went through some very dark days struggling with this. Dark enough to make me choose to lose because the alternative wasn’t acceptable to me. It took a year to lose 60 with the biggest change coming with a modified Keto lifestyle. Processed meals and junk out.
Sugar out.
Processed grain and cereal out.
Fresh home processed Fruit Juice out.
Reduced red meat and pork.
Oil and vinegar only for salad dressing.
More oily fish, fowl, and wild game.
Fresh vegetables, not frozen or canned.
Fast one day a week.
I’m sure you know much of this, probably more than myself, so this is merely a word of encouragement from someone who has been through similar circumstance. Little steps, more time, more patience, best lasting results. No quick fixes at my age.

It can be better with each day. Good luck, now maybe someone can help you with that fork.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be better with each day. Good luck, now maybe someone can help you with that fork.....
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I follow a keto diet, for the most part. Crap thing about it is that when my liver decides it wants to dump sugar, it does. I've gone as low as 20 grams of carbs in a day for two weeks and I still get BGL levels of over 200. Such is the life of a diabetic i guess.

Since I typed the first rambling post, the bike went in for a check up. They adjusted everything and retentioned the wheels. It works pretty well for a 10+ year old bike.

I've done two more rides as well. A 3 mile and a 5 3/4 mile. I forgot how addicting a bike could be. My wife is going to hate me...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.