Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to head to bend next weekend with a few friends . Thought about doing the shuttle from Bachelor to Bend as listed in the "singletrack anthology" book. Is there a shop in town that still gives rides to bachelor for a fee? And are there any changes to the trail to be aware of? Thanks for the help.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
www.cogwild.com will give you a shuttle ride for a fee

but bachelor to bend is no-can-do, as you'd be riding Flagline, which is closed until August 15th due to elk calving

try Swampy Lakes to South Fork to town...it's a goodie

cog wild can help you with that too and figuring out longer loops

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
rpowell said:
thanks for the info on flagline, how long is swampy lakes to south fork to town.
You can make it as long as you want, as there are multiple connectors to different trails. I would say the Swampy to Swede Ridge to Sector 16 to Whoops to Bens trail would be one of the ways to go as a one way with lots of fun terrain, total miles would be close to 16-18 miles, ending at Phils trail head (2-3 miles from downtown)

I would get a trail map for sure, as you can loop these trails to others to ad mileage.

·
Registered
17,609 Posts
Tappoix said:
...you'd be riding Flagline, which is closed until August 15th due to elk calving
There's that, and the fact that there's apparently still enough snow up high that a group of mountain bikers had to get rescued from snowdrifts last weekend via snowcat.

I'd go Swampy-South Fork like Tap suggested.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Snowdirft?

Nat said:
There's that, and the fact that there's apparently still enough snow up high that a group of mountain bikers had to get rescued from snowdrifts last weekend via snowcat.

I'd go Swampy-South Fork like Tap suggested.
Come on Nat, you're joking right? You can pull the wool on the out-o-towners, but you can't fool me fo'.

When are we going to get together for a ride. Last time we road together was hourse ridge back in February. Let me know,.....we've got to get pinsneedles back to pedaling in the dirt too.

Jason

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BIGfatED said:
Come on Nat, you're joking right? You can pull the wool on the out-o-towners, but you can't fool me fo'.

When are we going to get together for a ride. Last time we road together was hourse ridge back in February. Let me know,.....we've got to get pinsneedles back to pedaling in the dirt too.

Jason
I am about to get my car back so I will be coming over for a ride soon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rodger that!

shiggy said:
I am about to get my car back so I will be coming over for a ride soon.
Yeeeeah Shiggy! Glad to hear you will be more mobile soon. You're just in time to enjoy the moon dust trails of Bend Oregon. Not to worry however, if we ride up higher we can find some better dirt, but nothing like The Oakridge. Sorry I missed you at Summer Ride Fest. I was there on Sunday and had a great time riding with lswing, pintpedaler, albee, and a few others.

Looking forward to pushing the pedals with you.

JC

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked with cogwild and they want $100 for a close to bend shuttle. Is there still a shop in town that does a shuttle? For less than $50 I could bring a second vehicle to do the shuttle. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
rpowell said:
I checked with cogwild and they want $100 for a close to bend shuttle. Is there still a shop in town that does a shuttle? For less than $50 I could bring a second vehicle to do the shuttle. Thanks.
I would say forget the shuttle all together & make a loop ride instead, lots of variations to choose from here, plus, you can use the money you save for something else we have that is great here in Bend, micro-brews :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
inkpad said:
I would say forget the shuttle all together & make a loop ride instead, lots of variations to choose from here, plus, you can use the money you save for something else we have that is great here in Bend, micro-brews :thumbsup:
Yup. The climbing is easy around Bend. Take your time and wind your way up and return on different trails. Lots of choices.

·
dusty paw tracks
208 Posts
Tappoix said:
but bachelor to bend is no-can-do, as you'd be riding Flagline, which is closed until August 15th due to elk calving
I'm a stickler for accuracy - so just to clarify. Flagline isn't the only way to get back to town from Dutchman. One of the best ways in Metolius Windigo, but another option is the Tumalo Mt. loop. "Looker's right" facing the backside of Tumalo - head around that way and it intersects the bottom of Flagline where it's open.

Of course none of this is clear right now, but when the snow melts that's where I'll be heading. I like to use that trail to get me to Dutchman when Flag's still closed. Makes a fantastic loop from Skyliner parking lot - up Met/Win, to Mrazek and down Farewell back to the car. Only downside is the unbelievable deep sand up there in the summer. Some "exciting" soft shoulders that's for sure. Pine Martens too!

·
Registered
17,609 Posts
BIGfatED said:

Jason
For real! I read it in the Bulletin, so it must be true:

Rescuing bicyclists at Todd Lake
By Dan Swearingen / Bulletin guest columnist
Published: July 16. 2006 6:00AM PST

In the four plus years I have managed the search and rescue function for the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office, I have often seen what I will call the positive spirit of Central Oregonians. I have seen it in our SAR (search and rescue) volunteers who are willing to go out day or night during any type of weather to help those in need. I have also seen it in the public who want to help us and in other organizations and agencies who have also willingly come to assist.

This past week I saw a wonderful example of this positive helping spirit of Central Oregonians, and I feel it is a story which needs to be shared.

On Thursday morning, July 6, 13 individuals rented mountain bikes from a local outlet with the plan to ride out Skyliners Road, climb up to Forest Service Road 370 and descend to Todd Lake. The group included 11 youths between the ages of 14 and 17 and two supervisors with a Pennsylvania expeditions company. These youths were on a 24-day "Ultimate Oregon" experience.

Timeline

They left the west side of Bend at about 9:30 a.m., rode up Skyliners Road to the 4601 road, connected to the Myrazek trail and then to the 370 road. They encountered snowdrifts on the bike trail and after moving to the 370 road encountered more snow but still tried to proceed toward Todd Lake. About 2 p.m. they were unable to ride at all due to the snow and continued walking and pushing their bikes higher through the snow. About 6:30 p.m. they realized that they needed help and contacted their company's local office in Eugene who later called 911.

At about 7:15, the Forest Service was contacted by dispatch. It investigated and then paged for SAR assistance.

SAR volunteers

Our first two SAR volunteers went directly from their homes to the Todd Lake area to investigate and put a plan together. One of these was an incident commander who would end up running the mission through the night. They gathered as much information as there was to learn and determined a course of action.

It was quickly learned that there was a high sense of urgency as the 13 were not dressed for cold conditions. Some only wore shorts and T-shirts. The group did have water and snacks, a cell phone, altimeter, compass, map and three head lamps. A critical piece of information was learned when the group leader called their Eugene office - he reported hearing something motorized. Our SAR volunteers saw three snowmobiles parked by the gate to the 370 and learned that Gary Laursen and Neil Laursen, of Bend, had been riding in the area near Moon Mountain.

Getting to high country

After getting over the shock of seeing three snowmobiles on July 6, they asked the two for assistance to get our SAR volunteers into the area. Gary and Neil immediately agreed and tried to transport three SAR members to the high country. Unfortunately the conditions were terrible, and only one person could be carried on each snowmobile. So one of our SAR members drove one of their machines, and they took the other two to try to find the lost group.

Instead of being able to go home with their three machines about 9 p.m., Gary and Neil came out of the area with only one snowmobile at about 3:30 a.m. The other two machines were broken and had to be left for pickup later. What they did accomplish was to get our first SAR volunteer to the lost group with the assistance of Air Life. Gary and Neil never asked for assistance with their broken machines in either retrieving them or fixing them. What an example of the positive spirit of Central Oregonians in action.

Our incident commander later asked them what they had been doing up there on July 6 with snowmobiles, and they initially said they just wanted to try and find a bit more snow before it all disappeared. But then they admitted that they felt they were supposed to be there. Thank you Gary and Neil - you were key to finding and helping these lost youths and are a terrific example of a wonderful, positive helping spirit.

But before that, at about 11:30, our incident commander spoke to the group leader, and he was told that the group was getting desperate, everyone was very cold, the kids were falling asleep and things in general were going south very quickly. Our incident commander told him to keep the kids moving, not to let them fall asleep as this could lead to rapid lowering of the body temperature without proper protection from the cold. He told him to keep them slowly exercising and to try to build their morale as SAR was getting close.

The group leader was also told to turn on the three headlamps and flash them three times, turn them off then flash them again three times. This is the universal signal for help.

About this time, Air Life was also asked by SAR to help. Air Life was able to see the flashing headlamps and therefore locate the group for SAR. The location was near the top of the 370 road where the 380 road turns to go up to the Broken Top trailhead. Then they spotted these snowmobiles trying to find the group and led our first SAR volunteer to the group. After that, Airlife guided our ATV riders to the spot as well - the last leg on foot. Air Life was unable to land and pick up any of the cold youths because it was too dangerous, but their help was invaluable in getting our SAR volunteers to the group as early as possible. Without their help, it could have taken much longer to find them.

A lot of snow

Our ATVs had a very difficult time getting through the snow fields, but with persistence, which included winching the machines up difficult areas, they got close, before abandoning the machines, and were able to bring a limited supply of blankets to start the warming process. But much more would be needed, so we contacted Mt. Bachelor to see if there was any possibility of getting a snowcat into the area. We were told that possibly all of the machines had their tracks off by now; but Rick Brooks, who supervises vehicle maintenance, gladly left Bend late at night to go up and check.

Close to midnight he heard what he thought might be a Sherman Tank coming down the road to the Todd Lake parking lot. There was Rick driving the only snowcat that still had its tracks on.

Being prepared

We quickly loaded the cat with more blankets, sleeping bags, a tent, etc. from the expedition group supply vehicle and about midnight Rick left with all the gear and another SAR medical person. They arrived about 2 a.m. and brought this additional life-saving gear which helped the youths make it through the night.

By then the SAR volunteers had built a fire for the group, were drying the kids' socks, shoes and other wet gear, and the whole atmosphere was changing. SAR had already made the decision that it was too dangerous to try and take the tired and wet youths out of the area at night, so they would need to try to warm them up and dry them out.

At one point I understand there might have been all 11 youths in a tent designed for four people. I would love to read the letters the kids write home to their parents about that.

The SAR volunteers were very proud of their ability to dry out the kids' clothes and reported that they had the socks nicely browned just like a marshmallow perfectly toasted over the fire.

Again with both Air Life and Mt. Bachelor I saw this positive spirit and willingness to help these lost and very cold people. Thank you very much.

Logistic challenge

The challenge of getting 13 people out of the area in the early morning was a huge logistical issue. We now had three ATV's close to the site, two more at Todd Lake, but more were needed. So we asked the Forest Service for help.

They quickly diverted three ATVs with drivers from their trail clearing crews and got them to Todd Lake to assist. So now with eight ATVs we were able to bring out all 13 people, the gear we had taken in and also the 13 bicycles to be returned to the local merchant. We were not able to get the additional five ATV's all the way due to the snow, so the group had to walk the first couple of miles, but with dry shoes and socks it was doable. The ATVs met the kids at the highest point possible, and all were successfully out to Todd Lake by about 10 a.m.

Quick response

Again seeing how quickly and positively the Forest Service responded to our request reminded me of how this positive spirit of helping people is also reflected in this government agency. Thank you to the Forest Service personnel who made this happen and to the men who came and helped.

In this day and age when so much bad and discouraging news is heard and read every day, I have found myself encouraged and more hopeful as I reflect on this recent experience we in SAR have had. My hope is that you also find encouragement in this story, and whenever you have a chance to say thanks to the Laursens, to Mt. Bachelor, Air Life and to the Forest Service personnel that you take the time to do so.

Sgt. Dan Swearingen is special services coordinator of the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replys, yeah we will probably just do the loop rides. We have ridden in bend before and yes the climbing is easy, just thought we'd explore all the possabilities ahead of time.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
FYI - it's getting real dusty down low.....upper alpine stuff, around the Bend Watershed/Tumelo Falls (read: South Fork / North Fork / Happy Valley / Metolius Windigo) are all going to be much better dirt

it's all good tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts