Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bleeding eventually stops
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I (we) are in the market for a baby trailer. Our daughter is three months old and needs a bit more support. Anyone with any advise on a good trailer that will work with infants?

·
Play all day
126 Posts
You really should wait until your child can sit up and support their head with a helmet on before putting them in a trailer or carrier. 3 months is a tad young IMO. That being said, I use a schwinn trailer that my brother in law got for us from Target. It works well enough, but the kids don't wear helmets in there, because the helmets just get pushed over their eyes by the back of the trailer. You can do a search on bikeforums.net. This topic has been discussed to death over there. I just saw that Nashbar sells one for $100. Sounds like a good deal. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=9308&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=. If you decide on a rear carrier, they gotta have a helmet on, because there's not much protecting them. A trailer on the other hand is basically a roll cage with a five point harnesses, so they're really safe and stable.

·
nobody
490 Posts
Jinks said:
You really should wait until your child can sit up and support their head with a helmet on before putting them in a trailer or carrier. 3 months is a tad young IMO.
I have to agree with Jinks. I waited until about 9 months with my first boy and that seemed to work pretty well. I have a Nordic Track trailer I got on the cheap. It has a good harness system but the hitch mount isn't nearly as nice as the burley. But there just isn't room for a kid to wear a helmet and not have his head pushed way forward so my kids don't wear helmets when I pull them in it. I think they're safe where I take them but if you feel you want your kid to wear a helmet, you should check out the fit before you buy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Check out Chariot - chariotcarriers.com or rei.com. They have an infant sling that fits in their trailers/joggers that let's you put a real little on in there. They basically lie down instead of sit up. Kinda cool. Chariots are pricey though.

I own a kids outdoor shop. We've gotten some used Chariots in, but they're kind of hard to find used since it's still a pretty new company. One other option is one of the Trek bike trailers (like the Rocket or Deluxe) which you could retrofit to fit that Chariot infant sling. S

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
dr.dirt said:
I (we) are in the market for a baby trailer. Our daughter is three months old and needs a bit more support. Anyone with any advise on a good trailer that will work with infants?
The instructions for the trailers will say the child has to be older. Don't be surprised if they're not aways into trailering or strollering.

It looked like Burley and Chariot were the most common good products when we shopped, and all 5 of us are completely happy with our Burley. FWIW: My wife liked Burley more, and I believe it was because she felt it was more simple. It's the greatest thing if you find yourself walking dog and kids in foul weather.

·
Registered
291 Posts
BoB trailers used to make one

They don't anymore, but maybe you could find one on Ebay. Their trailers used the same axel mounting system as the bob cargo trailers. Which having a bob cargo rig I can tell you is the bomb!
I used one similar to the ones target sells that mount on the non drive side chainstay. It'll scar up a chainstay pretty badly. Might not even work if you're using disks, I'm not sure.
Have fun and enjoy the training benefits of towing an extra 30 to 40 lbs behind you.

·
slow
7,748 Posts
Burley D'Lite

Loved this trailer. Manufacturers say wait til they're older, but we started our daughter in it at 8 weeks by using the harness straps to tightly secure her car seat into the trailer. Took her off road on double tracks quite a bit and would do up to 20-30 mile rides with it. As she got older and out of the car seat, we put her into a helmet while in it. She rode in it on longer rides until she was too big. When she was bigger, she had a tendency to lean to one side, causing me to roll it with her in it three times. Not a single injury, however!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
One other note. Burley is a super top notch company in terms of quality and customer service. And their trailers last forever and hold their value like gold. S

·
bleeding eventually stops
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise. I've been sold on the chariot for awhile particularly since I XC ski a lot in the winter. Wife has been not so into it for price. ANybody with any experience with using it as a baby jogger? IT seems a bit big and heavy for that role?

·
Registered
119 Posts
We recently bought both Burley D'Lite and Chariot Cougar for comparison, and ended up going with the Chariot. Both units are well built. However, we thought the Chariot had several advantages: 1) folds down much easier/quicker for storage/transport, 2) works better as a jogger, 3) harness system easier for quick baby in/out, 4) looks cooler. The only advantage for the Burley in our opinion was more storage in the unit. I think both units work equally well as bike trailers. However, my wife will be using it quite often as a jogger and in that regard, we thought Chariot was clearly superior.

dr.dirt said:
Thanks for the advise. I've been sold on the chariot for awhile particularly since I XC ski a lot in the winter. Wife has been not so into it for price. ANybody with any experience with using it as a baby jogger? IT seems a bit big and heavy for that role?

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
dr.dirt said:
First take them hiking then the cart

·
Registered
421 Posts
When my little girl was to young to support her head I just placed her in the baby car seat and strapped that into to the Burley D'Lite. I'm sure it's not recommended, but it was a way for me to cruz through the neighborhood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.