Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a B9er setup on a newer (2013 plus) 650b specific enduro bike with longer travel? On some older conversion this would result in really high bottom brackets or mismatched travel, but I think the combination of enduro bikes being able to handle longer forks and forks like the Pike with lower A-C, that a B9er may be easier on these bikes.

I have interest in this idea (if I can trade my Pike 275 for a Pike 29) so that I can have a 275 setup for smoother, faster trails, and a 29" front wheel for slower, rockier trails where the extra momentum might be nice.

Another benefit? Being able to go back to 29 in the future when the bikes like the Enduro 29, BMC Trailfox, Process 111 (maybe in carbon?) and other frames have dropped in price (and weight.)

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
If it were me, I would run a shorter 29 fork.to not mess with geometry. an inch or two extra on the front end is quite a lot

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thinking on a 150mm rear travel bike designed for a 275 150mm travel front fork would be to run a 140mm 29er fork with short a-c. So the Pike 29 150 has an A-C thats the same as the A-C of the 275 160 so you'd drop 20mm a-c by going to 140mm 29er, but then you've got to compensate for that extra 1" or so of front tire.

Like I said, not as dramatic as a 69er, but would still require some changes.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I'm curious why. I've toyed work the thought but can't bring myself to find it logical considering the difference is minimal and you have no compatibility between front and rear wheels.

Posted via mobile

·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got both 650b wheels and 29er wheels with similar axle hubs.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
No, difference is quite big when it comes to rolling over stuff on a 650B vs 29er front wheel. I had done a 69er years ago on my Trance lowering a Reba to 80mm and running a 29er wheel while my 29er was being warranteed, but then a few years later did the Trance again with 650B front and while it suited the 26" rear wheel better and was a definite improvement over the 26" front, it wasn't as good compared to the 29er for maintaining momentum over rocks, roots and the like. Still will setup the Trance as a 26/650B sometime down the road once my Phantom ectasy has worn off - already have the fork.

I'm curious why. I've toyed work the thought but can't bring myself to find it logical considering the difference is minimal and you have no compatibility between front and rear wheels.

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
No, difference is quite big when it comes to rolling over stuff on a 650B vs 29er front wheel. I had done a 69er years ago on my Trance lowering a Reba to 80mm and running a 29er wheel while my 29er was being warranteed, but then a few years later did the Trance again with 650B front and while it suited the 26" rear wheel better and was a definite improvement over the 26" front, it wasn't as good compared to the 29er for maintaining momentum over rocks, roots and the like. Still will setup the Trance as a 26/650B sometime down the road once my Phantom ectasy has worn off - already have the fork.
I meant why not just go 29er. I assume for the extra year travel?

Posted via mobile

·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My issue with full suspension 29ers is playfulness, something I personally feel is a trait of the rear end length. I've ridden a few long travel 29ers including WFO and Tallboy and felt they were still freight trains rather than ninjas. I rode a WFO back to back against a Norco Sight Killer-B and just couldn't dig the WFO for the type of terrain I was riding. Was it fast? Hell yea! But was it fun? Not really.

I wanted my next bike to be more fun. Something I can ride around in the neighborhood searching for gaps to jump or loading docks to drop off. Something I can take to a BMX park and not feel so awkward.

The Enduro 29, Lenz, and Process 111 are the only 29ers right now that offer long travel and chainstays under 17". This severely limits the options, meaning you pay higher prices and carbon? Forget about it. Out of my league.

The advantages to going with a B9er setup would be "cheap" short rear end with more availability, lighter weight, and like I said previously, the ability to dial in the playfulness or rollover the bike by swapping front ends.

Again, this is just a practice in theory and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go through with it. I may just deal with the minimal differences between 275 and 29 for a few years.

Disclaimer: I hope to build a chinese carbon 29 or perhaps a short-stayed AM 29er like a Yelli, Fireline Evo, or Carver Ti420 in the next couple of years, so I may be lucky enough to have two bikes to choose from.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My issue with full suspension 29ers is playfulness, something I personally feel is a trait of the rear end length. I've ridden a few long travel 29ers including WFO and Tallboy and felt they were still freight trains rather than ninjas. I rode a WFO back to back against a Norco Sight Killer-B and just couldn't dig the WFO for the type of terrain I was riding. Was it fast? Hell yea! But was it fun? Not really.

I wanted my next bike to be more fun. Something I can ride around in the neighborhood searching for gaps to jump or loading docks to drop off. Something I can take to a BMX park and not feel so awkward.

The Enduro 29, Lenz, and Process 111 are the only 29ers right now that offer long travel and chainstays under 17". This severely limits the options, meaning you pay higher prices and carbon? Forget about it. Out of my league.

The advantages to going with a B9er setup would be "cheap" short rear end with more availability, lighter weight, and like I said previously, the ability to dial in the playfulness or rollover the bike by swapping front ends.

Again, this is just a practice in theory and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to go through with it. I may just deal with the minimal differences between 275 and 29 for a few years.
Sheesh after this reply now I want one lol

Posted via mobile

·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And don't get me wrong, from what I've heard the Enduro 29 is an amazing bike. It's just heavy (most alloy builds range from 30-34lbs), the pedalling efficiency is sub-par without a good shock, and it was $1000 more than I wanted to spend. (Budget was $2500.)

Unfortunately the Process 111 is around $3300, the Lenz is ...who knows, the BMC Trailfox TF01 is astronomical, and most of the other options for the type of bike I wanted in 29" format were just too much money or too heavy.

I got a 28lbs 150/160 bike with Debonair and Pike, XT/SLX built kit, DT350 and Flow EX for under my budget. I hope I can live with the smaller wheels.

Like I said, the hardtail options are considerably more plentiful, lighter, and more within my budget (even as second bike).

·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently it can be done as Liteville's Tobi Leonhardt demonstrated on his 301 B9er. Now granted his setup is a bit odd, with a 0-length stem and flat bars, and he also seems to prefer the taller BB height of the raised front end, but even so he's running a 130mm 27.5 frame with a 150mm Revelation 29.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts