Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have one of those trails from your local spot that just has one part or length of the trail that you just can't do and it kills you that you can't?

Man I hate it when I see these below mediocre big legged dorks making these climbs using some ridiculous 23 gear in the back, and doing like it didn't seem that hard to them.

The trail that takes the cake for me is going up Mt. Diablo from Mitchell Canyon gate to Deer Valley. I just can not get up that dang trail with out getting off my bike 3-5 times.
For those of you who know what I'm talking about and can do it; I hate you!

·
Registered
479 Posts
so, if those guys that "can" are mediocre dorks....then what does that make you?:p keep crankin', you'll get there eventually...and you may want to try to ride with those peeps that can do the climbs, they may make you a better rider:thumbsup:

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
There is this small ass hill on the trail I ride all the time. It's really really steep and I always thought it was impossible to ride up so I never tried. Well I followed a kid one day and watched him ride right up it. I was sooooo shocked in dis-belief that i just stood there. Finally I tried it and .... bailed.

A week or so later I tried again and I went right over the top no problem. Sure it burned like all hell but I did it. Now I make sure that at the end of my rides I come back and do it right before heading home. :D

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
Mitchell Canyon is a b!tch but its not technical at all. Its just a fire road. It can be done (I still stop at least once just because I'm winded).

BTW, the few people I know who do clean it regularly aren't mediocre riders though some are dorks :D More saddle time and training are the only way to beat this one. The tough hill is the last incline just before Juniper Camp.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
There are a couple local hills that always seem to get me...

One is due to the wheelbase of my bike...two roots will allways get my tires so that the back breaks loose and momentum stops instantly. I'd need a different bike to go up it without stopping.

The second is on a MUT....good, steep hill that I just out power the traction. I haven't found the "magic spot" that will allow me to sit and spin it without popping up the front or cutting loose the back. Trying to stand it is jsut loading the gravel cannon and firing it back at the base of the hill.

The last is another rooty, steep initial climb hill...for that one, I just need to find the right gearing and line...I know it can be done by guys on bikes like mine (seen it), but I just haven't figured it out yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts