Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running over a stick and getting it caught both in the chain AND between by cassette and rear der., the cage was sticking into my rear wheel spokes. I stopped to assess the damage and my rear der. was UPSIDE DOWN. I haven't ever seen this, but after I wiggled the stick loose, I had to loosen the der. bolt to get it to swing back into normal position. As I did this, the B-tension screw, along with the screw's housing, I guess I would call it, went missing from the rear der. I tried to ride again, but the der. cable had been ripped out and the der. was bumping my cassette as if I had no B-tension, because it didn't have any and the screw and however it attaches to the rear der was gone. Does this sound like a Tales from the Crypt episode where I'll be ponying up for a new der. or will I be able to salvage this one and ride again soon? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
LBS might have spare parts

actually, you can ask your LBS if they have spare screw . Most shops have spare screw lying around somewhere. You must bring the bike to the shop for them to look at it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea, i gotta agree with shiggy on this one. if it was a matter of just the screw, thats one thing. but if the small tab that it screws thru is gone. thats part of the derailer, at least if we're talkin shimano, which is all im familiar with. that "stick in the derailer" episode has happened to me as well, in fact ALL of us im sure. it was ugly and ive since become a big fan of alloy or "breakaway" derailer mounting bolts as well. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.