Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having some problems figuring out the B screw adjustment on a new (to me) bike. This a Shimano XT derailleur, of the rapid rise type (which is also new to me). The jockey wheel is hitting the large cog on the cassette and needs to be moved away. The B screw setup seems to be opposite of what I'm used to. The screw contacts the derailleur hanger directly, and the washer piece it is part of should contact a notch on the derailleur body. Currently, the washer piece doesn't contact the notch with the screw in any position; however, even if it did, it looks to me like tightening the screw would push the derailleur closer to the cassette, rather than away from it.
Metal Steel Silver Nickel Silver

So it seems to me that the adjustment would rely on the spring being strong enough to hold it away from the cassette, and the B screw pushing the wheel closer to the cassette. But I am probably mistaken, and would appreciate any feedback.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Looks good to me. Screwing the bolt in will make the plate turn clockwise-preload the spring more and rotate the derailleur clockwise and move the upper pulley away from the large cog. That´s what you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts