Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Prime community.
I was browsing over B+ trend, and of course I started to figure:idea: how my Prime would come out with 650b 40mm large rims and 2.8/3.0 airbags.

Has anybody already attempted or started thinking about it ?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Subbed in, interested in B+, but more so for the rigid. but if I get some, of course I'll try it on the Phantom/Prime. But just from my measurements, don't think you'll have any trouble what so ever running them on either the Prime or Phantom. 29+ might even fit, but chainstay length could be an issue, but not width clearance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, chainstays would be longer than a B+ specific frame, but this won't change anything in my ride.
my concern was about tire clearance, but with measured 8.2 cm between stays, for sure I can use the 2.8 wtb trailblazers given at 7.2 cm section, or maybe some fattyer tires.
The 727 mm reported diameter of trailblazers will drop the BB 1 cm (at 33.5 cm low setting ), as overall diameter difference between my 29er maxxis 2.3 DHR is -2 cm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, I missed the boat on this idea! I was eyeing up the Salsa Bucksaw because I like the idea of big tires at low psi, never even thought of 650B with "sort of" fat tires. Was just thinking of replacing my EThirteen rims with something wider and going with 2.5" tires but I like this idea even better. Can't wait to see what the results are!

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
900 Posts
Unfortunately I´m out of budget for new parts right now, but would like to try 26"+ semi-fat 2.8 to 3.0 tires on my Spitfire. :)
According to a chart of an article on mtb-news.de the 26"+ diameter is almost identical to a 650B 2.3 or 2.4 tire ... :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Here, diagonally!
2,098 Posts
I mounted up a 29x3.0 Knard / Flow Ex on my Prime; pics are on page 59 of the Prime production thread. Based on that, I'd say B+ could definitely work with the right wheel / tire. Also, we've got adjustable dropouts so the BB height can be raised if needed.

With generous tire clearance and adjustable dropouts, these bikes are very versatile. When tire manufacturers finally start producing 29x2.7ish tires, I'm looking forward to trying them on my Prime.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I mounted up a 29x3.0 Knard / Flow Ex on my Prime; pics are on page 59 of the Prime production thread. Based on that, I'd say B+ could definitely work with the right wheel / tire. Also, we've got adjustable dropouts so the BB height can be raised if needed.

With generous tire clearance and adjustable dropouts, these bikes are very versatile. When tire manufacturers finally start producing 29x2.7ish tires, I'm looking forward to trying them on my Prime.
Oh thanks, I missed that. You could run '650b' dropouts to create tire more clearance if you did want to run this setup in mud and slush.

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
900 Posts
maybe new B+ dropouts will be nice feature on our bikes.;)
My question would be: Where there any differences to the current 650B-dropouts? These ones lengthen the stays about 10mm ...

My other question would be: Is there a market and demand for 29+ tires? I can imagine that 650b (in general) and 26+ and B+ could gain popularity and sales in the near future. Maybe not for the racers among us, but for the all-day-explorers ... ?!?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
1/2 Phat Phantom w/ 29+ tyres

Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why? Maybe I'm missing something, but the Prime/Phantom already have fantastic suspensions, pair that with any of the available "normal" 29er rubber already available up to real 2.5" tyres and you've got an awesome machine, can't see the need or want for so much bigger. Current tyre setup, WW LT rear, 2.35" Ikon front in dry conditions and loving it, combo is very fast, but the 2.35" Ikon really does offer a lot of grip for how fast it is. Have my 2.4" Chunky Monkey for the wet or a more aggressive setup.

I did a check this AM, and the Phantom will clear a Maxxis Chronicle with the drop outs set to the slackest position, i.e. longest chainstay length, but clearance would only be for absolutely smooth dirt trails with no debri to get caught up in the tyre, at least IMHO. Also the F34 has clearance, but wouldn't trust in on anything more than smooth dirt with no debri to get lodged between the tyre and arch.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle wheel rim Rim Bicycle accessory Automotive tire Fender
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim
Grey Synthetic rubber Silver Symmetry Steel
Automotive tire Rim Tread Fender Synthetic rubber

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
900 Posts
Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why? ...
Good question!
I have no (1/2) fat-tire-experience myself, but from what I´ve read those tires offer more traction/grip and better rolling-resistance. The right air-pressure seems to be the key. Smaller volume-tires should have faster rolling, but these big ones would make for a better all-weather/all-terrain usage ...

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.