Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
There was a thread on here once with a guy warning people not to buy the DeeTracks. He said the hubs were crappy and they dont hold up. That could have just been a problem or hard riding style but IMO there are better wheelsets out there for the price.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
The person that replied to that thread was a moron...If it is the one I am thinking of... He tried to replace the axle with a new piece (not stock) or something and it did not work so he blamed Mavic......

In any case the DeeTracks are working very well for me. They are heavy, but very well built. Many people have issues with factory-built wheels but they are fine. I usually hand build all of my wheelsets - but wanted a budget price wheelset. I get them for EP price through the shop I work at so it was worth the price to try them.

They are not loud at all. One thing to remember is to set the correct bearing tension and you are good to go...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I posted on the thread with the ranting idiot.
They are great wheels and pretty cheap too. I know a few guys riding street on them along with 2 or 3 racing upper level dh with them. No one has had any issues with them.
great wheels buy them

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
I have the Deemax wheelset...same hubs. Like stated above that ranting gentleman was a looney. I have had to open up the rear hub on mine once in about a year to take out the pawls, degrease, put in fresh oil, and put back together. Dead simple. It's like a fine car, its fantastic brand new, but if you don't take care of it, before long it will run worse than any cheap-o. Keep it happy, though, and it will do the same for you/ The Deetraks look like a real solid wheelset. If you can get em cheap...do it.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Lube, baby.

Undo the axle and pop the cassette body off (5 minute job) and lube inside with Mineral Oil two or three times a season and you will be riding those things for years.

I have DeeMax and numerous Mavic road wheels and they all super-reliable as long as you lube that freehub body every once in a while.

JMH

·
Registered
784 Posts
Demo-9 said:
The person that replied to that thread was a moron...If it is the one I am thinking of... He tried to replace the axle with a new piece (not stock) or something and it did not work so he blamed Mavic......

In any case the DeeTracks are working very well for me. They are heavy, but very well built. Many people have issues with factory-built wheels but they are fine. I usually hand build all of my wheelsets - but wanted a budget price wheelset. I get them for EP price through the shop I work at so it was worth the price to try them.

They are not loud at all. One thing to remember is to set the correct bearing tension and you are good to go...
Well I was the MORON / LOONEY who posted the warning about the Deetraks! I did replace the 10mm solid axle with the Mavic Deemax Saint Derailleur Axle Kit as it was the only solution for me to run a Saint Derailleur.http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU602Z00-Mavic+Deemax+Saint+Derailleur+Axle+Kit.aspx The kit worked well and it was not the reason why the rear hub broke. I got the wheel warrantied / repaired by mavic after 6 weeks with the bearings inside the hub replaced.

I have to admit that I ranted too much, but that was because I did not expect this to happen to such a recommended wheelset.

Now I try to give the rear hub more attention by cleaning and re-lubing it every 3 rides.I had 9 rides with the repaired wheel and axle combo and so far it's doing great.

The Deetraks is a strong and heavy wheelset that is relatively cheap and is the only wheelset available for a 135mm rear spacing to run a Saint derailleur without a Saint hub. If you should have the Saint Derailleur but not want the Saint rear hubs and brakes, then this is the only thing that you can use. I would still give a fair warning to potential owners about the attention to maintenance with the rear hub.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.