Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Gang
I am in the market for a beefy trail light AM bike. I am up in the air on the Stumpjumper pro or a Blur LT. I pretty mush looking for what people like and don't like about these bikes, also if they have had any problems with them.
I live and ride in Colorado so Fruita, Moab and Salida are staples rides for me. I dont know if I'm clumsy or just ride hard but i tend to be hard stuff.
Would aslo be interested to hear from Enudro and Nomad owners
thanks
peace:cool: https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
:cool:

·
Banned
462 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I believe both use the horst link suspension design, though the Stumperjumper FSR (I'm assumming your talking about the full suspension version) has a more sophisticated looking design where as the Santa Cruz Blur LT is a down to earth no frills bike.

Personally I would pick the one you think looks better, that's how similiar they are to each other. Also, I suggest test riding them and seeing which one fits your frame better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
small correction - The Blur LT uses a VPP suspension design whereas the SJ uses the Horst link as mentioned above.

I have not ridden a Blur LT, but have been riding a classic blur for the past 2 years. It is a great bike and has handled lots of abuse. It climbs well, descends well, and weighs about 27 lbs with an XT build.

I have not ridden a SJ but they seem to be great bikes. Lots of folks in my area ride them and all seem to like them.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I'd agree here

I looked long and hard, got an 06 Stumpy FSR 5" and beat he// out it in Vancouver, it takes it all in stride. I've got friends on the standard Blur that swear by it also up here. I discounted the Nomad, as the lightest build I could find was 5 lbs heavier than the Stumpy (@28#).

I had an 03 Enduro but the BB was too low and I kept tagging the pedals. That is now fixed and I have no clue how the newer 07's ride, sorry.

If I could say one thing: take your time, they're all great rides; just study them all for a while and ride as many as you can.

Good luck, Jim

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
The stumpjumpper pro also has a brain shock on it which is good or bad depending on your take on it. I Like the brain on the Stumpy better than the Epic because you can dial it down so it is not so stiff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am looking upgrade my frame from a 2002 fsr, so I am kinda in the same boat as you. I am looking at the SJ, Blur XC, Turner Flux and Ellsworth Truth (4" of travel front and rear is all I need).

If you are hard on stuff consider the warranty on the frame;

SJ - Lifetime
Santa Cruz - 2 years

Just my two cents.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
killerpanda said:
holy the sc warranty 2 years! Are they that burly? what is up with that?
thanks for the info
Usually, big companies like Specialized can offer lifetime warranties, but smaller companies are more hard pressed to offer that. Two years is more than enough to know if a frame was fine or not.

I know this dead horse has been beaten to death time and again, but I think it's more important to know how each company backs up their product and experiences with actual users than just looking at how long a warranty lasts. Specialized has responded more than I expected when I had a problem, and I think it is very good. I don't know about Santa Cruz (I've had no experience with SC). One way is to ask at the Santa Cruz forum and ask about customer experiences regarding warranty or broken frames. I think that if you break a frame after two years it's not caused by manufacturing defects, which I think that's what a warranty is for. And really, how many products that we buy have a 90 day warranty?

I really don't know which bike I would go if I were looking at. I've had a SJ FSR 04 (with 100mm travel) and really liked it. I have no doubts that the newer versions (more travel, a little different geometry) will ride very, very good. But also the Blur LT has been receiving good reviews.

I'm taking that both bikes (or the builds you are comparing) costs about the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.