Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody does this. Im doing my first race i actually trained for and am wondering if i should strat taking some supplements and or a b-12 pil before i train/eace?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
well...never slowed me down except stomach upset with b in pill form
there are B powders which don't have the same issue

you do not want a pill. grind it up to dust and mix with some drink

as for, is it worth it ? no idea

the only pill I ever took which made a big difference is calcium and how I feel after 3 hours or more.

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
B12 is absorbed from the last 50cm of your small bowel. In general terms it will take 8 hours or so to get there, so taking it before a race or training is unlikely to be useful. In addition the dose is pretty low in most B12 oral pills. Injected 1000mg B12 in the week before would work, but if your diet is good it may just be wee'd out. Also, not everyone gets a boost from B12 regardless of dose.

Coenzyme Q10 in the most active and available form - sublingual (orally absorbed) ubiquinol 200mg on the morning of a race may give an appreciable boost.

·
Registered
335 Posts
why should you start taking supplement for your first race?

you trained for it. Just eat enough food before the race and fuel accordingly during the race. Nothing more needed

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
a old time racer once said: supplement ? food is my supplement.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sperm of a Blue Whale.

But seriously Citrulline Malate and Beta Alanine are 2 good staples.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Beta Alanine
This is quite a detailed article about beta-alanine:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/your-expert-guide-to-beta-alanine.html

Apparently you're supposed to take beta-alanine along with taurine. I've been trying that combination for the last few weeks.:)

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/782/Ten_Benefits_of_Taurine.aspx

I have an iron/ vitamin B12 supplement each day. When you're doing a lot of miles it does seem to help with reducing fatigue.

http://www.vitabiotics.com/feroglobin/capsules/

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
This is quite a detailed article about beta-alanine:

Bodybuilding.com - Your Expert Guide To Beta-Alanine

Apparently you're supposed to take beta-alanine along with taurine. I've been trying that combination for the last few weeks.:)

Ten Benefits of Taurine | Poliquin Article

I
Taurine is a critical amino acid. It's found in meats, fish, and high quality protein supplements. If your using a protein supp you're getting what you need. If you not I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Beet juice
x100. Do some research on this. Study after study have showed noticeable improvements. As Todd Wells said in 2013 "When I had to pee for USADA after the race it was bright red from the beet juice I drink before the race. The doping control officer said everyone’s pee is red now since everyone drinks beet juice. It use to be an advantage to drink it because not everyone knew about it’s benefits, now if you’re not drinking it you’re behind the ball."

Beet Juice | Red Ace Organics

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
I had a box of Beet Elite powder packs that you mix with 4oz of water.

One of the odd things is that it does NOT turn your pee red.

Makes we wonder if it is as effective as drinking juiced beets OR if it is even working at all, for example. I have seen no diff using Beet Elite fwiw.

I wonder what most guys are drinking exactly...like what product? Juicing beets is such a PITA, there is no way everyone is doing that...haha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a box of Beet Elite powder packs that you mix with 4oz of water.

One of the odd things is that it does NOT turn your pee red.

Makes we wonder if it is as effective as drinking juiced beets OR if it is even working at all, for example. I have seen no diff using Beet Elite fwiw.

I wonder what most guys are drinking exactly...like what product? Juicing beets is such a PITA, there is no way everyone is doing that...haha.
Beet juice doesn't turn my pee red either. It only happens with certain people. I read somewhere that it happens with about 15% of the population, but I hear about it a lot so that figure seems a bit low maybe. In any event, the important thing here is that if it does, it's completely harmless and totally natural.

There has been some concern that the powders are lacking some of the nitrates that real beets have - so I have stayed away from them. Yes, juicing beets is a pain. Messy, expensive and you have to drink a ton of beet juice to get the desired effect. That's why concentrated beet shots like Beet IT or Red Ace Organics are so popular. You get the benefits of about 3 beets in one, small convenient bottle. I like Red Ace. I think it tastes better and is a US company and is easier to get (website or Whole Foods). Another option is Biotta. But it's not concentrated so you have to drink a 16oz bottle vs. a 3oz. shot for the others.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Taurine is a critical amino acid. It's found in meats, fish, and high quality protein supplements. If your using a protein supp you're getting what you need. If you not I would highly recommend it.
Apparently when it comes to whey protein supplements taurine is more likely to be added as a filler to cut costs:

https://www.truthaboutprotein.com/protein-powder-quality.html

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152529053

https://iforce.co.nz/i/mtcdae1s.ekm.jpg

Here's a bit about how much taurine you would normally get from your diet:

Dietary Sources Of Taurine
"Taurine occurs naturally in food, especially in seafood and meat. The amount consumed in most societies, however, is quite low. The mean daily intake from omnivore diets was determined to be around 58 mg (range of 9 to 372 mg). In another study, taurine intake was estimated to be generally less than 200 mg a day, even in individuals eating a high-meat diet. According to another study, taurine consumption was estimated to vary between 40 and 400 mg a day.

Successful clinical studies with taurine have used daily doses of 1,500 to 3,000 mg. It is challenging to obtain this amount of taurine from traditional dietary sources.

Taurine is made by the body from the metabolism of the amino acid cysteine. Aging can reduce the amount of taurine made from cysteine, thus making taurine supplementation desirable in maturing individuals.

Taurine is not abundant in most plant foods. On average, non-vegetarians typically eat around 43-76 mg of taurine per day. Vegans have been shown to have lower blood levels of taurine."
Lef

https://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2013/jun2013_The-Forgotten-Longevity-Benefits-of-Taurine_01.htm

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Beet juice doesn't turn my pee red either. It only happens with certain people. I read somewhere that it happens with about 15% of the population, but I hear about it a lot so that figure seems a bit low maybe. In any event, the important thing here is that if it does, it's completely harmless and totally natural.

There has been some concern that the powders are lacking some of the nitrates that real beets have - so I have stayed away from them. Yes, juicing beets is a pain. Messy, expensive and you have to drink a ton of beet juice to get the desired effect. That's why concentrated beet shots like Beet IT or Red Ace Organics are so popular. You get the benefits of about 3 beets in one, small convenient bottle. I like Red Ace. I think it tastes better and is a US company and is easier to get (website or Whole Foods). Another option is Biotta. But it's not concentrated so you have to drink a 16oz bottle vs. a 3oz. shot for the others.
Thanks. Last time I checked, I could only find the Biotta product in the USA. Good to hear there are other options finally.

Who do you race for / with? Your avatar makes me think US CUP West.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
WR304 -- What's your mg/kg dosage for Taurine and B-Alanine? (Or however you dose it?)

Craig -- thanks for the AIS link. Handy.

And there's this from USDA: Taurine Content of Selected Foods: Taurine Deficiency Very Unlikely on a Normal Diet - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone
Thanks for the USDA link.:)

This is what the Lef article bases its Taurine daily intake on. Full text as a PDF below:

77. Rana SK and Sanders TA. Taurine concentrations in the diet, plasma, urine and breast milk of vegans compared with omnivores, 1986

Table 4 on Page 6 of the PDF is the summary of taurine intake and then the discussion on page 10 of the PDF where they talk about the impact of how food is prepared:

http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...l=http://journals.cambridge.org/data/userPdf/

What I've been doing with the beta-alanine and taurine is splitting the dose and taking them together three times per day, mixed into a protein shake:

1. Pre-ride.
2. Immediately post ride.
3. Just before bed.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts