Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come, after a 2 1/2 year hiatus an AZTR Grand Depart is upon us!! Hooray!! (y)

Register here: AZTR Fall 2021 Grand Depart

Please note the change to the 300 start, as I had to move it back to Parker Canyon Lake one last time. 7a departure, same as the 800 on Oct. 28th.

**Be sure you have the latest GPX track for each distance: AZTR GPX files here they were published: 9.21.21

Deadline for SPOT rentals from Trackleaders is Tuesday, October 19th. Don't delay!!

A lot of AZTR questions can be answered here: AZTR FAQ

I ask everyone who intends to toe the line to become a member of the ATA (Arizona Trail Association), The AZT is a special place, bikes are welcome and the trail needs our help after the recent wildfires. Besides, who doesn't want good trail karma??

· Registered
58 Posts
Hey all, I rode the east/west canelos about a week ago, and just wanted to provide some heads up about trail conditions.
Sunnyside canyon is great. Pretty lush throughout (high desert lush), trail is easy to follow, nice coverage from the sun, and you'll enjoy some nice views.
The East Canelos are in pretty good shape, some washed out bits, and ruts here and there from the monsoons this year, but nothing too bad. Some expected overgrowth, but again, nothing too wild.
The West Canelos start off decent, but probably about halfway? the growth gets intense, and the trail is spotty at best, and stays this way until the highway, so zoom in on that GPS! I highly recommend wearing gaiters and some kind of lower leg coverage due to catclaw and two other vampiric shrubberies out there, and take your time. The overgrowth makes following any line tricky, and every stray boulder, tree stump, etc seems to be hiding. So, pack some extra water and extra patience for this section. Attached are a couple pics from the ride. I would have added to the FB group but don't have an account, so feel free to share info.

A few gates that you really have to push open haha, some I just had to throw the bike over and climb over the fence since there was too much growth to push the gate one way or the other.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

There is a roll gate about middle of the picture to give some scale.
Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Twig

Yep, still on trail.
Plant Plant community Grass Motor vehicle Landscape

Getting close to the highway.
Plant Plant community Branch Twig Grass

· Registered
81 Posts
I rode the Rispey section this past Saturday. Brought 6 gallons for the Freeman road TH. When I started in the morning there were only a few gallons in the cache. Upon my arrival back that afternoon someone had filled the cache and I found myself trying to jam more in. So needless to say they’ll be plenty of water there.

· DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode the Rispey section this past Saturday. Brought 6 gallons for the Freeman road TH. When I started in the morning there were only a few gallons in the cache. Upon my arrival back that afternoon someone had filled the cache and I found myself trying to jam more in. So needless to say they’ll be plenty of water there.
Sounds like we were out there the same day, white truck? I dropped 24 gallons there, then got to read about how some ungrateful mtbrs were using the water from the cache. FFS.

· Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like we were out there the same day, white truck? I dropped 24 gallons there, then got to read about how some ungrateful mtbrs were using the water from the cache. FFS.
Yeah, I saw some of those comments over in the land of faces. It's frustrating that non MTBers seem to have the train of thought that MTBers are a plague to the trail. How can we help change this mindset? How do we let those other user groups know that we help maintain the trail/stock water boxes/etc?

Something along the lines of "sponsoring" a bear box? Dropping 24 gallons and leaving a nice laminated note saying "this box replenished with 24 gallons by your friendly AZT MTB riders (or AES??) on X date"

There are bad apples in all trail user groups. But is seems like a lot of thru hikers have bad impressions of us. I've seen nothing but mountain bikers bending over backwards to be good stewards (this was a driving force behind the fall switch right?). Maybe more communication on the ground (mountain biking propaganda haha) would be helpful?

1,501 Posts
Yeah, I saw some of those comments over in the land of faces. It's frustrating that non MTBers seem to have the train of thought that MTBers are a plague to the trail. How can we help change this mindset? How do we let those other user groups know that we help maintain the trail/stock water boxes/etc?

Something along the lines of "sponsoring" a bear box? Dropping 24 gallons and leaving a nice laminated note saying "this box replenished with 24 gallons by your friendly AZT MTB riders (or AES??) on X date"

There are bad apples in all trail user groups. But is seems like a lot of thru hikers have bad impressions of us. I've seen nothing but mountain bikers bending over backwards to be good stewards (this was a driving force behind the fall switch right?). Maybe more communication on the ground (mountain biking propaganda haha) would be helpful?
Some people are just going to hate anything that is not like them. Not much you can do about them. That being said, your ideas are good. More importantly we should all strive to be nice to EVERY trail user we see. That is the best PR we can do. Personally I've always had good interactions with through hikers. They are usually excited to tell you about their journey.

One other thing we can do is show up to ATA benefit events - like this one tonight: Pivot ATA Benefit. Wear your MTB gear to show folks that we are willing to give back to the trail. Hope to see some folks there tonight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.