Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are planning a loop ride this weekend,and plan on riding the azt from flag to fisher point,then follow walnut canyon out to the w/c visitor center,then up sandy seep to elden springs, down Shultz,then finishing up at buffalo park(starting here also)
how is the route from fisher point out to the visitor center and is elden springs rideable since the flooding. any snow?
thanks

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
we are planning a loop ride this weekend,and plan on riding the azt from flag to fisher point,then follow walnut canyon out to the w/c visitor center,then up sandy seep to elden springs, down Shultz,then finishing up at buffalo park(starting here also)
how is the route from fisher point out to the visitor center and is elden springs rideable since the flooding. any snow?
thanks
Elden Springs is toast. And closed. That's not to say you couldn't try and ride it and probably some sections are do-able. But probably more HAB than anything. If you want to make that big of a loop consider riding the FS road instead to Schultz Pass. Keep in mind the top part of Schultz still has some snow and is soft and muddy in places.

Your part about following the AZ trail and Flag is confusing. The AZ trail parallels Walnut Canyon in the vicinity of the visitor center. Perhaps you mean, riding the town loop and then accessing AZ trail at Fisher Point and taking that to the Visitor Center.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elden Springs is toast. And closed. That's not to say you couldn't try and ride it and probably some sections are do-able. But probably more HAB than anything. If you want to make that big of a loop consider riding the FS road instead to Schultz Pass. Keep in mind the top part of Schultz still has some snow and is soft and muddy in places.

Your part about following the AZ trail and Flag is confusing. The AZ trail parallels Walnut Canyon in the vicinity of the visitor center. Perhaps you mean, riding the town loop and then accessing AZ trail at Fisher Point and taking that to the Visitor Center.
rockman,yes you are correct about the fisher point part.
we have not rode the azt from fisher to walnut canyon visitor center.is it marked well and or in good shape.i have also heard that we could cut through the campbell mesa area and go under i-40 to sandy seep.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
rockman,yes you are correct about the fisher point part.
we have not rode the azt from fisher to walnut canyon visitor center.is it marked well and or in good shape.i have also heard that we could cut through the campbell mesa area and go under i-40 to sandy seep.
I haven't ridden that area yet this spring. Or is it still winter? Hard to tell anymore. Anyway, maybe this will help. http://flagstaffbiking.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/loop-trail-map-oct-07-segments-46mb.pdf

·
Registered
276 Posts
yz The trail from Fisher pt to Walnut is a great fun trail and very well marked but I would take it to the Campbell Mesa turn. If you elect to use the Loop Trail be ware that it's a mix of Jeep road and single track in that area and the last time I rode it didn't connect through to the Campbell Mesa Trails.
Any of the bike shops in town will have a good map of all those trails.

HoJo

·
Registered
827 Posts
When are you guys planning to ride? I might be interested in joining in. I did a long trail run about a month ago from Campbell Mesa TH down to the Loop trail and followed it around to the east under I-40 and up Sandy Seep. It is pretty well marked and well built trail, there are a few jeep road connections but they're short. Can't give any first hand insight into the fisher pt/walnut canyon section though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The Arizona Trail from the sewer pond to Fisher Point is good to go. The climb up to Fisher Point was dry too. That dude that runs the horse tours down there needs to hit his part of the trail with a rake though. Stuff was jackhammered really bad by the hooves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.