Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else know where the closures for the AZT are located in upper Ft. Valley? I came across a closure area just east of Hotshots on the AZT as I was riding it from the east to the west today....had to backtrack after the fire crew's told me the area was closed to mop up hot spots due to the dumbass who lit a fire around Chimney Springs yesterday afternoon.

Wondering if I can head up moto from lower Ft. Valley and then head west on the AZT to connect with the climb up to Snowbowl on the AZT tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
This is the word we got from USFS Rec Staff.

"Would you mind sharing some information with the local community regarding the wildfire today and temporary trail closures?

The fire was around and on the Arizona Trail. It is East of Dogfood and West of FR 420 where the AZT leaves Schultz Creek Trail. Please ask people to not ride Dogfood, Kentucky Waterfall, or that section of the Arizona trail. This sounds like it will only be a short situation.

If you have any folks at the shop that are Arizona Trail specific, we will be utilizing the reroute from the Helicopter logging (aka- chimney springs trail up to the AZT from the Schultz Y side, and the Pipeline from the Schultz Tank side).

Hopefully there is a press release and map available tomorrow, but in the interest of people planning rides, and local shops that help with that planning, this holiday weekend I wanted to share as quickly as possible."

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Fire crews were surprised I was in the area, but I don't think they anticipated many folks traveling west on the AZT from the NE (Secret)....in other words...I think they just blocked routes coming from town, not for someone coming down the mountain.

·
slower than you
1,364 Posts
Thanks. Fire crews were surprised I was in the area, but I don't think they anticipated many folks traveling west on the AZT from the NE (Secret)....in other words...I think they just blocked routes coming from town, not for someone coming down the mountain.
This morning while riding west on AZT, as I entered the burn zone I encountered about 30 hotshots and a few blueshirted FFD personnel at the top of KentuckyWf/Mullet trail. They confirmed that I could ride through and that they were done with mop-up operations. I was able to say a quick word of gratitude to all of them for the work they did, and also ask about the point of origin. They indicated they didn't find a fire ring. When I asked if they believe then that it was "stupid people being stupid" they all nodded but said little else.

There is a giant dozer line around the entire perimeter of the burn. It was driven up the AZT from Schultz Pass Road.

Pics of the burn on my Insta:

http://instagr.am/p/Bzqr49Fpe_-/

·
slower than you
1,364 Posts
Driven up the AZT? Bummer. Although there might be a silver lining if they went up the connector from Schultz Pass Rd. That's old road bed and in poor condition. Maybe we'll get to realign some sweet singletrack.

What is Mullet trail?
aka...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.