Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are heading up to Flag from PHX to do a high altitude ride before a trip to Tahoe. I want to try something that might replicate some of the more climbing-intensive trails in Tahoe. It looks like riding up the AZT from town towards Snowbowl would provide a good 1600 feet over 6-7 miles, which is what we are looking for. The problem is that I can't see any place to park anywhere near the start down at the bottom.

Is there any place to park down there? Is there another ride in the area that would be similar to this that has a better parking situation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you park at the bottom of Elden road and ride the road to the top of sunset trail you’ll get close to 1,900’ of climbing. You’ll top out around 9,000ft, just a couple hundred feet lower than the crest of AZT. It’s a fire road climb with many singletrack descent options. AZT is a great ride, but this is another option.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Some other good climbing options that are my favorite in Flag...
Little Bear (if you do this from the Sandy Seep TH off of 89, it's a good solid climb all the way to the top)...and you can check out the new bit of Little Elden Trail that many of the guys who post here did a ton of work on.
Weatherford (from Shultz Pass) - Good 800 ish ft climb.
Mt Elden Rd- as mentioned, solid 1900ft...it's very moon-dusty in spots now till some rains firm it up.
Waterline Rd all the way to 10,300ft - not super steep, but views are awesome and you'll go from about 8k to 10.3k.
ATM Loop - The classic CCW loop from the bottom of Schultz Creek (the Y) will get you around 4-5k in 45 miles or so...(it uses the AZT, Waterline Rd, Inner Basin Trail, and FR418). IF you park at the Sandy Seep TH, and go up Little Bear, down Sunset, and then go around the mtn, you'll have a full day and tired legs for sure.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Park at Schultz Y, ride up FR420 which is closed to vehicular traffic, continue up waterline road, continue past the green cabins and ride to the end of the road at the wilderness boundary on the N side of the mountain. 40 miles, 3k in vert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.