Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently sitting in a hotel room in Flagstaff after getting the Coconino loop done just in time yesterday, staring at snow on the ground and thankful I didn’t start a day later.
I seem to remember that Anderson Mesa is a no go after rain. I’m not sure about anything below Mormon Lake though. Should I find a way down to Pine via roads? I’m headed all the way to the border and it looks good past Payson. Any advice would be appreciated.

· change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
Currently sitting in a hotel room in Flagstaff after getting the Coconino loop done just in time yesterday, staring at snow on the ground and thankful I didn’t start a day later.
I seem to remember that Anderson Mesa is a no go after rain. I’m not sure about anything below Mormon Lake though. Should I find a way down to Pine via roads? I’m headed all the way to the border and it looks good past Payson. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dead Horse State park then back to Sedona. Black Canyon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
Hey Sean,
Good to hear you're headed south. If you're still looking for advice, skip Anderson Mesa. I'd check the trail at the Lake Mary Crossing on the north side of Mormon Lake and see how it looks. Not sure how much rain fell up on the rim in general, but if it wasn't completely saturated, I would think you'd be fine from there. If it's completely soaked, then roads are probably your best bet. Nice down here in the desert now. You rolling the 800??

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Sean,
Good to hear you're headed south. If you're still looking for advice, skip Anderson Mesa. I'd check the trail at the Lake Mary Crossing on the north side of Mormon Lake and see how it looks. Not sure how much rain fell up on the rim in general, but if it wasn't completely saturated, I would think you'd be fine from there. If it's completely soaked, then roads are probably your best bet. Nice down here in the desert now. You rolling the 800??
Thanks John. It was a mess. I checked at various places but it was clear I would be doing damage. Ended up on Lake Mary Road all the way to 87. Took a bunch of roads and dropped Pine Canyon off the rim. Super fun.

I’m on vacation so I’m doing fun stuff, mostly last years route and leaving the ugly stuff to the racers in a couple of weeks😛 Cold and snow up high and heat down low and so much wind this trip.
I got hassled coming into that subdivision below the Tonto Bridge Road. Hopefully it won’t be a problem for you. No trespassing signs and all. It can’t be more than 1000’ but the guy I ran into was not happy. Could be an isolated incident.
Just the Coconino loop and AZT to Tucson. Done and headed home tomorrow.

· DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
I got hassled coming into that subdivision below the Tonto Bridge Road. Hopefully it won’t be a problem for you. No trespassing signs and all. It can’t be more than 1000’ but the guy I ran into was not happy. Could be an isolated incident.
The route has been modified to avoid that subdivision. Been in contact with the forest service to come up with a permanent solution. AZTR riders will go over a powerline corridor to the east of that subdivision, staying on the west side of AZ87.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The route has been modified to avoid that subdivision. Been in contact with the forest service to come up with a permanent solution. AZTR riders will go over a powerline corridor to the east of that subdivision, staying on the west side of AZ87.
Excellent. I had no doubt you were on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.