Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

AZT 300 unofficial thread

32K views 213 replies 32 participants last post by  Krein 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone considering this one for next year, Scott has not posted here but he has set the date for April 18th. http://www.topofusion.com/azt/race.php

If I do it again it will just be an excuse to get away for a few days I am thinking 5 days not racing just a semi-fast paced tour. Hell last year Zach and I were the only ones to finish and won in 4 days 15 hours. A far cry from Scotts 2 days 16 hours record setting win the first year.

Tim

#2 ·
I'd like too.. Need to get in a couple overnight trip/epics in to get the "feel". I would be more inclined to try it touring. I have ridden part of the route. Picked up Azt near the Sonoita exit off i 10 to reddington and over to Catalina hwy. Sleptfroze in a creek bed and continued up and over to Oracle.

I'd still like to preride the first 80mi. Anybody else thinkin about pre-rides?

#4 ·
I'm Down

z rocks said:
I'd still like to preride the first 80mi. Anybody else thinkin about pre-rides?
Little cold right now for an overnighter, but we could bust out a SV to Patagonia point to point ride on Sunday if you don't mind dropping a car off in Patagonia on Saturday afternoon(ride from the house!). We could also do Patagonia /Elephant Head/Box Canyon/Hwy 83, first stash a car at the entrance to KY Camp or in Sonoita, then just nip back down the highway to the car when we're done. The second ride would be a bit longer, so we'd probably need lights and lots of warm clothes. Let me know, I'm up for a longer ride/hike-a-bike this weekend.(as long as it's not dumping rain!) :)

The "Sierra Vista Prologue" is a nice addition to the first part of the official AZT race route for anyone who's never done it before. Great singletrack on both sides of the Huachucas, and a sweet climb(if that's what you're into, and I know you are) up Garden Canyon and over the pass. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
The 300

I've had some pretty serious thoughts about racing it again this year. It's a great excuse to spend 3-4 days riding some really fun/hard stuff.

Race date is April 18th, as Tim said. Near perfect lunar conditions:

Phase of the Moon on 18 April: waxing gibbous with 97% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

Full Moon on 20 April 2008 at 3:25 a.m. Mountain Standard Time.

Unless there's objection, I'm going to change the course up on Redington Pass. The idea is to get people off the well traveled road and onto more fun stuff. It'll get rid of the 'funny' feel of riding "away" from where you're about to head, too. Moving time is almost identical for the old vs. new route.

I'll have a new GPS file soon. Everything else should be about the same, plus or minus trail conditions.

Rumor is that the first ~3 miles of Oracle Ridge have been seriously rehabbed. I might have to go "hab" it back. What fun will it be if we can ride our bikes up there?!

#8 ·
Krein said:
Rumor is that the first ~3 miles of Oracle Ridge have been seriously rehabbed. I might have to go "hab" it back. What fun will it be if we can ride our bikes up there?!
As long as the "traverse-o-death" is still there, we should be good!

#9 ·
Krein said:
Unless there's objection, I'm going to change the course up on Redington Pass. The idea is to get people off the well traveled road and onto more fun stuff. It'll get rid of the 'funny' feel of riding "away" from where you're about to head, too. Moving time is almost identical for the old vs. new route.
I think you should add bug springs and green mountain instead of the highway also :thumbsup:

#13 · (Edited)
Wow

That was quick the first post was up before I finished my coffee. Glad to see a lot of interest.

Scott: the mores the better I love hike a horse.

Snot: as was pointed out the first year yes, this is close to the TI you will just have to choose between SINGLE TRACK in AZ and dirt roads in IA.

Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Tim

#17 ·
I don't know why, but I'm contemplating this. It could be a great way to "train" for the CTR that I am planning on doing this summer. I'd have to take a close look at how long it would take me as I am a teacher and getting time off like that during the school year is tough. How hard is it to get to the start from the airport (which airport?!). The logistics for me might be tough. Sorry, thinking out loud again.

#18 ·
chadfbrown said:
I think you should add bug springs and green mountain instead of the highway also :thumbsup:
Bugs is a possibility, since it's quite rideable at the bottom, and really, a great climb. By then they should have the middle sections built in and more rideable.

Green, though... !! That might be over the top.

I'll ask you what you think after you've ridden from Parker Lake to the top of Bugs....

#21 ·
sherpaxc said:
I don't know why, but I'm contemplating this. It could be a great way to "train" for the CTR that I am planning on doing this summer. I'd have to take a close look at how long it would take me as I am a teacher and getting time off like that during the school year is tough. How hard is it to get to the start from the airport (which airport?!). The logistics for me might be tough. Sorry, thinking out loud again.
You could fly in to Tucson. There should be a ride set up to get people from there to the start race morning.

Then you either need to get back to Tucson, or fly out of Phoenix (finish is closer to Phoenix). Round trip to peenix is usually cheaper, so that might work better. You can get a peenix airport to Tucson airport shuttle for fairly cheap.

Tucson is right in the middle of the route, so from a bailing perspective, it might make sense to base flights and such from there.

Just a few thoughts.

#24 · (Edited)
Chad

How many beers does it take to get the horse to ride a bike? Oh and what does it ride I am guessing it is a full suspension horse. Or does it prefer a rigid 69er like me.

And then the real question who has the right of way when a person on a horse meets a horse on a bike. On level ground of course because we all know that the climber has the right of way.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.