1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday, March 12: Phoenix, South Mountain/T100 rides

SoMo A:

Ride Leader: Chad
Ride difficulty: A- technical, B+ pace National, Hobert, 24th Street/Morman, Corona de Loma, DC, Tele, National. "Sessioning" uphill technical moves will be done on this ride. Cameras are strongly recommended, but not required. 100+ ounces, we will fill up at Boy Scout water fountain.

Meeting place/time: at 9:00am. Please bring water. It would be nice to chat for a few minutes with all the other group leaders, so make sure to be a little early if you want to meet some people. Bring lots of water and snacks, we can drop stuff off at BV (water and snacks) if we have to.
Directions to Pima Canyon at South Mountain: Located at 9904 S. 48th Street and Guadalupe Road. Map of South Mtn

SoMo B+++

Ride Leader: ChongoMan (Bob) --National, Holbert, Up Ranger, National, Road to BV , Corona Loma, DC back to Pima
Ride difficulty: B+++
Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above)
Directions to South Mountain: see above

SoMo B+

Ride Leader: DurtGurl (Kathleen)

Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above).
ROUTE: Up Mormon to National to Telegraph. Road back to Buena Vista. Down National. Distance will be about 15 miles (not exactly sure) and time maybe 5 hours. Call this ride an "A-" for technical and a "B---" for pace. Pace will allow for frequent photo, snacking, and ******** stops. Be sure to start with a full 100oz bladder and snacks.

SoMo B-

Ride Leader:

Meeting place/time: at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above). Leave after meeting everyone from other groups.
ROUTE: Up the fire road to javelina, down javeline to east/west loop, then over to DC, with a few options to drop off if it gets long. Otherwise, this is a fun ride, plenty of time to take pictures, enjoy each other's company, etc.
SoMo C
Ride Leader: John Headrick
Ride difficulty: C (Slower Pace)
Time: 9, FIP at 9:20 at Pima Parking Lot Pima 2 Corona Loma (ccw) 2 warpaint 2 flintstone benches(post52) 2 sidewinder 2 pima

There will not be a group party after South Mountain rides. Head up to Sedona for the PARTY!

-------------------------------

Saturday, March 13 - Sedona SHOW UP TO BIKE N BEAN AT 9AM if you want to ride in Sedona (other than Triple H and C ride). PARK AT IGA OR NEARBY. Please do not park at Bike n Bean for any reason. They do not have room. Park in the city of Oak Village. See AZ Website for more info.

All Sedona rides should aim to be back at Bike n Bean between 2-3. There will be plenty of pizza and beer, but this will guarantee that we all are there for socializing. If you arrive early, the beer will be ready to pour!

All Sedona Rides (unless noted below) will be parking in the Bell Rock Parking Lot (see directions below) and will be congregating at Bike n Bean. Please make sure you read the directions. There will be maps available on MTBR in a few weeks. After parking your car and gearing up, venture to the Bike n Bean to buy some coffee and other goods that you may need, sit back and wait for everyone to show up. If you want to rent a bike in Sedona, Bike n Bean is offering 10% off any rental! Check out their rentals by clicking their link.

Sedona A
Ride Leader: traildoc, Chalkpaw

This Sedona advanced ride will be referred to as the Triple-H ride. The Triple H names come from the three main trails that make this ride extra special. Those three trails are Hangover, Hog Heaven and High Line. In order to complete this ride we will be connecting multiple trails that will make this ride difficult to follow unless you are very familiar with the Sedona trail system. Be advised that there will be many short sections of this ride that an advanced rider will not be skilled enough to ride the first time through, so be prepared to use good judgment where appropriate. If you suffer from a fear of heights this ride will make you nervous in several sections.

Unlike some of the other AZSF Sedona rides this ride will start at the intersection of Hwy. 179 and Schnebly Hill Rd. There is plenty of parking within ½ block of the starting point, but the final ending point of the ride will be at Bike & Bean which is approximately ten miles south on Hwy. 179.

Since this ride will be pushing 18 to 20 miles over five to six hours in total, not everyone who starts the ride will want to do the whole ride. There will be numerous bailout points and if you can't make the 9:00 AM meet time and 9:30 AM start time there will be several other meeting points along the route where people can hook-up with the group.

I will bring a cell phone for linking up at other meeting spots along the way. The second meeting spot will be back at Hwy. 179 and Schnebly Hill Rd. The third will be the Broken Arrow Parking lot. The forth will be the Little Horse parking lot. And the fifth will be the parking lot at the base of Bell Rock.

Due to the length of the ride I am recommending bringing lots of food and at least 100 ounces of liquid. I will have a car parked at the three quarter point that will have bulk apple berry flavored Cytomax for energizing and tap water available to top off hydration packs.

If people have questions about the ride, please feel free to ask those questions on the MTBR thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=592325 and I will try and answer those questions to the best of my ability.

As a side note I ride with dual ply 2.5 tires with a ghetto Stan's system, and I do so to reduce the chance of flats and a more stable riding platform. Please bring at least two spare tubes if you are a weight weenie and run single-ply tires.
Sedona B+/B SINGLESPEED RIDE
Ride Leader: Elrancho66 Mark G
Proposing a Singlespeed specific advanced ride if folks are interested. Meet at Bike n Bean and head out from there at 9:30. Ride will be approx. 18 miles and cover many of the finer trails in V.O.C. ,4+ hours in length at a brisk pace but a few snack stops built in.........and nobody will get dropped unless they choose to. TENTATIVE RIDE DESCRIPTION : Start at B n B,,,,,,, ride Made in the Shade to Slim Shady, out to the HT/Templeton junction,,,,,,,,,,,,HT over to and under the fancy new bridge, hook up with Little Horse,,,,,,,,,,,continue up to Chicken Point,,,,,,,,,,,onto Broken Arrow until we arrive at the Hogs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,traverse the Hogs over to Mystic, Mystic to Chapel............Chapel back over to Little Horse,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LH to LLama,,,,,,,,,regroup and discuss how to finish up,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ride subject to change as needed,,,,,,,,,FEEDBACK?

Sedona C Ride
10:00 at Bike and Bean. Get some coffee and head out on the ride at around 10:20

Bell Rock Parking Lot Directions: Take the Highway 179 exit that leads to Sedona. Seven miles in you will encounter not Sedona proper but The Village of Oak Creek (VOC).
Travel through the round abouts until you get near the last light, a street called Bell Rock Blvd. Just before the light, on the right side of the road you will see Absolute Bikes and an Ace Hardware Store. BUT, instead of turning right into that little parking lot, directly across on the left side of the road is a big parking lot, which y'all should use. There is a two story strip mall building there. The one business I really like there is a Thai restaurant. Park the car. From there, once all geared up, carefully cross the road to the Circle K. From there ride up to Bike n Bean. Its a few hundred yards from the Circle K. No need to purchase a silly red rock pass. Save your $5 for pizza and beer.

Post Ride Party at Bike n Bean in Sedona. Free Beer and $10 pizza.

We will be meeting at Bike n Bean again this year for the after party. Bike n Bean is once again buying our beer! The only thing is that we have to buy the pizza, so bring some cash! Bike n Bean has been sponsoring the AZSF for years, please do your part by supporting them with merchandise, coffee, and passing the good word along to everyone.

If you need a place for lodging in Sedona, check the FAQs link above or check out this link.

Free Camping will be available at Beaver Flats south of town both nights (Friday and Saturday night). We will be driving up from Phoenix after the party, setting up camp, and doing the Sedona rides the next day. Since BCT is close to Sedona, we will be finishing off the Oak Creek keg that Bike n Bean has given us (remember to support our sponsors), then going back to camp to continue the social/happy hour. All parties are welcome; there is plenty of space. After turning on Bear Flats, make your first left. A map will be posted and I will have copies for those interested in camping.

-------------------------------

Sunday, March 14: Black Canyon

This is going to be one of the biggest rides of the entire week. If you want to go with certain people during the ride, make sure to try to arrive early. We will start grouping the riders a little after 9am. There is plenty of place to park, so you do not need to worry about parking. There is a post-ride gathering at Rock Springs about 200 yards from the trailhead. They are famous for two things: their amazing pies and very slow wait times, but the beer is cheap! Eat a little bit before the ride if you plan on waiting, or just come join us for beer. Bring some cash to make it easier to separate the checks if you plan on eating.

Black Canyon Trail: B and C rides
Ride Leader: Chad/Walt / Tiffany(early group leader)
Start Location: BCT trail head at 9am Walt's faster group, Chad's B-- picture taking group will be leaving at 9:30, taking pictures, looking at artifacts, etc. Other rides will start as people arrive. I will be coordinating rides to leave every 10-15 minutes.

Plan is to hook up during the ride with some of the groups, snacks at one of the river crossings. Depending on water level, you may have to get your feet wet. Plan accordingly.

Directions to BCT trail head…Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City and Rock Springs), turn west, proceed to stop sign, turn north (right) on the frontage road, drive about 300 ft to the first road on the left, Warner Rd, and turn left. Drive about 1300 ft to the first cross road, turn right and proceed to the parking area on the right near the end of the road, about 400 ft.

Optional BCT Rides--SEE MTBR FORUM FOR INFO.

Post-ride Food and Beer at Rock Springs.

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
Can't I just do it all??

My head is spinning. This is going to involve a lot of coin-tossing. But I can't wait. If this year was anything like last year's SF, it promises to be memorable! BCT, is a given. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
CoyoteKis said:
If this year was anything like last year's SF, it promises to be memorable! :thumbsup:
That it was! :thumbsup:

Chad, I can help sweep/lead any ride I go on. I probably can only make the weekend rides and might do the BCT workday on Sat. I just don't know. so I can't commit. but will help any way i can.

b

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
I'm offering up a Wed. Mornin' Pre-Fling Somo Shuttle if anyone wants to join. We got the transportation and the group leaders to show you flingers around somo on a day with little to no hikers:) We've been doing wed. mornin' shuttles for over a year now and we always have a great time! We might even have a little breakfast burrito break in between runs if we get enough interest. Please stay tuned to the wed. mornin' shuttle thread for more info!!! I do plan on hitting some of the other fling rides, but it all depends on wifey's work schedule...

·
Dave
899 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
And I'm still in for leading the Hawes whirrlygig on Wednesday night. Send me a pm if you will be attending.
I will be with you man, either sweeping or just being one of the riders. See you there. Post up a time later. I think last year was the first time I went down the mine trail at night.

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
679 Posts
The Sweetwater link and motionbase link does not work.
Do you have any Garmin GPS (xxx.gdb) files for these trips?
I am a slow rider and like to know I can find my way back home without slowing the fast riders down...
thanks
Bob in Denver

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
BCT Sunday Ride

I'll help lead the BCT ride on Sunday. What I'd like to do is take out a fast, early group with the intent to do the "lollipop" (BCT south to Little Pan Loop, then back) in 3:30 or faster...assuming the crossings aren't too FUBAR'd. So per Chad's listed times, maybe FIP right at 9 am...we'll see. I'd call it an A- pace...

·
Fight the Kakistocracy!
259 Posts
You should be fine

If you are going to the Thursday 4:45 C ride, you shouldn't have any problems. I am going, and plan on printing a few maps for folks.

TucsonMTB link for trail info post

SingleTrackLovr said:
The Sweetwater link and motionbase link does not work.
Do you have any Garmin GPS (xxx.gdb) files for these trips?
I am a slow rider and like to know I can find my way back home without slowing the fast riders down...
thanks
Bob in Denver

·
Disgruntled Peccary
5,699 Posts
I'm planning on that one as well, simply because it works out well for me for work. The area's really easy to find your way around on in the first place. Not too many worries at all :)

·