Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great time last night out on Hawes! A few of us just cruised the lower parts, and tried to take it easy, then we met up with SugarHigh's "Beer-Duro" group at the "beer tree" for some trail beers. We all then retired to SugarHigh's house for the post-ride awards ceremony...:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
PMarsh Thumbs Up!
1,288 Posts
How are the temps at night? Might consider this once I learn the trails a bit more, now that I've seen the coming temps when I'll be there.

Props to the guys in the Yuengling jersey, and the Pivot shirt/jersey.

·
I am Walt
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are the temps at night? Might consider this once I learn the trails a bit more, now that I've seen the coming temps when I'll be there.
Always very comfortable, even in the heat of summer. Once the sun goes down, it's pleasant. Night riding is great here...!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Cool pics walt! Great to meet all of you!

Here are some pics I snapped thru out the ride.

View after the first stage race. This is seriously what it looked like. Amazing.
Nature Sky Natural landscape Landscape Plant community

Vegetation Nature Sky Natural landscape Cloud

The award: KOH! "King of Hawes"
Finger Brown Bottle Glass bottle Alcohol

- Dennis

·
I am Walt
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see Spring Fling on there, this is the second time I've seen it referenced. What is that?
An informal series of rides during a week in mid-March, usually Weds - Sun. Some years, it's a little more loosely organized than others, but people often travel in from out-of-state to get some Arizona riding in, while the weather is perfect!

·
PMarsh Thumbs Up!
1,288 Posts
Yep...lots of group rides throughout the year, so stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks. I'm going be there part of next week, and most of the week after. Right by Hawes too, so I plan to ride that, probably McDowell again, and SoMo.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,421 Posts
Here's a few I snapped:

(note: I managed to DNF the Beerduro!! How you ask? Barely 30 seconds into run #1 I got bit by a dog, then 10 seconds later my front brake spring wrapped itself around my front brake pads, nice.)

**Click on link at lower right of the photo for the rest of the pics**

High Titan bolts from the start!!

Getting set for stage #2

Our leader, SugarHigh, throwing it down

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
951 Posts
What a good time.

I was curious how this format would turn out. It turned out better than expected, a lot of fun and I think it really worked out well for a group ride with mixed abilities. We had 4 timed sections that required a stop to stage/stop to finish, which gave everyone a chance to take some set breaks with a purpose. Often on big group rides you get the fast real fit guys pushing or being frustrated with the slower pace folks. This format seemed to eliminate that. The stops also gave us some good time to get to know each other. The vibe was mellow, but we still got that clock focus if you wanted it.

HighTitan took King of Hawes by a comfortable margin. The guy has got some serious bike skill and a great attitude. Douger pulled second, and then I after maybe some creative math rounded out the podium. 8 started, 1 DNF, a few crashes, added 4 more at the beer bush (shocking), good times by all. Doug's friend Spencer was a trooper. Never rode at night, or the mine trail, while having flashlights taped onto his frame and a real small camping head lamp.

We weighted the beer time by a 10 multiplier to make the time more relevant over all. Times ranged from 8.4 seconds = 1:24 time, to 14.3 = 2:23 time. The beer bush was depleated, so I will not be coming up with a riddle, but you are all welcome to look for it. :)

Good times back at the casa, with 11 riders and one of my neighbors read about it on mtbr and showed up. It was a real nice vibe, that we would not have got at a bar. Turned on some tunes, coolers, camp charis, and stories came out. Surprisingly, the skateboards got pulled out and quite a few went for a little session. I think the last left around 11.

Great pics Walt, Dennis and John!

I would like to do another in the day time before it gets to hot. Keep your eye out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.