Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snatched this semi-built steelhead for pretty cheap off of ebay the other day.
Brown will bring the noize mañana.

Anybody know what size BB to shove in this sucka?

68 x (insert spindle width here)?

Attachments

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
e[I said:
o]I snatched this semi-built steelhead for pretty cheap off of ebay the other day.

Hey nice choice!

If ya don't like that fork, I think I know someone who will :)

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
e[I said:
o]I snatched this semi-built steelhead for pretty cheap off of ebay the other day.

I had tru vativ bb that read 113mm. It only had a bash ring so maybe a chainguide might warrent a slightly longer spindle. Right now i got Saint cranks on it and they have no size on em.... Will be putting azonic 454's on when DH season starts soon(Saints going on DH). The spindle is 5.70 inches long(convert it urself to mm-im dumb) but this BB uses spacers to adjust size. The gigapipe only has 1 spacer. Hope this helps.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pdirt said:
Hey nice choice!

If ya don't like that fork, I think I know someone who will :)
Yeah, it looked pretty goot and I got everything pictured for just over $400 shipped (I won the auction w/ $385). Everything is supposed to be virgin on it, so I grabbed it.

The only concern I had was the less than 23" TT. So I e'd some bigger guys that I remembered had em, and StinkyOne @ 6'2" said he was going to get the smaller size and thought I should be OK. So no worries........

P, there was about half a dozen Shiver SCs on ebay @ the time and some of them were mint, including a never been used 2002 (120mm travel) that went for just a fuzz over $200.

Thanks for the BB specs fellas.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
e[I said:
o]Yeah, it looked pretty goot and I got everything pictured for just over $400 shipped (I won the auction w/ $385). Everything is supposed to be virgin on it, so I grabbed it.

The only concern I had was the less than 23" TT. So I e'd some bigger guys that I remembered had em, and StinkyOne @ 6'2" said he was going to get the smaller size and thought I should be OK. So no worries........

P, there was about half a dozen Shiver SCs on ebay @ the time and some of them were mint, including a never been used 2002 (120mm travel) that went for just a fuzz over $200.

Thanks for the BB specs fellas.
Ya but THAT one is the 04, steel steerer 100 mm not stupid travel adjust crap, dual hscv ...

lemme know if ya change yer mind... I went for one other other day, but got out bid... it went for almost what you paid for the frame AND fork. I was like oh HELL no...
not on a used one, no way.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
pdirt said:
Ya but THAT one is the 04, steel steerer 100 mm not stupid travel adjust crap, dual hscv ...

lemme know if ya change yer mind... I went for one other other day, but got out bid... it went for almost what you paid for the frame AND fork. I was like oh HELL no...
not on a used one, no way.
Stay away from that shiznit. Sooo flexy I wanted to put it out of its misery.

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
konabiker said:
Stay away from that shiznit. Sooo flexy I wanted to put it out of its misery.
On the real though? The 04 has shorter travel and more overlap for the bushings... if I can find a semi new one for under 200 bones... yoink!

I rode a friends, not much, but it didn't seem too bad...

werd?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
pdirt said:
On the real though? The 04 has shorter travel and more overlap for the bushings... if I can find a semi new one for under 200 bones... yoink!

I rode a friends, not much, but it didn't seem too bad...

werd?
Maybe I'm just too sensitive :D

I dunno, I forgot that was a 04 and I've only ridden a 02. The 02 was flexy as hell though...

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
konabiker said:
Maybe I'm just too sensitive :D

I dunno, I forgot that was a 04 and I've only ridden a 02. The 02 was flexy as hell though...
Agreed, but that's why they shortened the travel and created a higher overlap... now it's still an inverted SC, so it's gonna be flexier side to side than a SC with a lower arch, but it will be way stiff for and aft...

great for DJ's I would think, and that's what I want it for...

so... ehhhhhh...mmmmkay?

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pdirt said:
Agreed, but that's why they shortened the travel and created a higher overlap... now it's still an inverted SC, so it's gonna be flexier side to side than a SC with a lower arch, but it will be way stiff for and aft...

great for DJ's I would think, and that's what I want it for...

so... ehhhhhh...mmmmkay?
Obviously I haven't ridden on it yet, but with 20mm axel installed it seems to be pretty stout.

Pulling and twisting on it, there seems to be very little give. I dunno, we'll see.........

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
e[I said:
o]Obviously I haven't ridden on it yet, but with 20mm axel installed it seems to be pretty stout.

Pulling and twisting on it, there seems to be very little give. I dunno, we'll see.........
Yeaaaass... we expect a full report... we know it twists when ya put the wheel between yer knees :rolleyes:

How's it rail berms? How's it act when ya land a jump semi sideways or fronty tire tweaked?

w3rd?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.