Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
customized
3,123 Posts
I have a 2003 silver Saber with upgraded chainstays. I'll post a recent pic in a couple days. Mine is set up for ultra aggressive riding... maybe someday I will use it for that. I suspect it weighs about 36-38 pounds.

A fellow rider has a 2004 black Saber setup for aggressive XC. I may get a pic of that one as well.

Louis

·
Registered
177 Posts
My Az..

The other side:

Notice the bad dent on the toptube. The bike fell from the stone in the upper image and hit something pointy, did not notice it until I came home and started to clean the bike after the ride. :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
TM1 said:
How does it handles ?
Is it no too much for the frame ?
Doesn't it out of balance ?

Very nice bike anyway.
140mm up-hill is not recommended. :)
But keeping it between 95 and 120mm works fine, atleast for me. Perhaps a bit overkill but so is the rest of the set-up.. ;)

Thanx!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Propulsion & Pike again ?

first, nice bike your propulsion.
second, this is a very aggresive build.How does the propulsion handles with the Pike ?
I ride it with a 105 mm Marz. and considering going 130.

·
Registered
177 Posts
TM1 said:
first, nice bike your propulsion.
second, this is a very aggresive build.How does the propulsion handles with the Pike ?
I ride it with a 105 mm Marz. and considering going 130.
Thanx, I usually keep the PIKE on 95-110 mm and I think it hadles pretty ok, when going down hill I turn it upp to 140 and just love it! :)

I don't know how good it is for the frame but it seems to take it fine, so far..

Riding 130 all the time should work, the question probably is what the axle-to-crown measure will be? It can be trouble when pedaling up hill.

This weekend will be the first time I'll go down hill 'big' with it so let me come back with more opinions later, but the big test will be Are Mountan Mayhem 21th-31th of July:
www.mtbfreerider.com (but I'm far from hardcore DH biker!)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ive got a steelhead w/ dropoff triple on the front. Lots of fun, good to ride to school, or as a second bike for buddies or girlfriends to ride.

I've also got a stinky, but Im looking at a recoil for next year. Anyone ridden one?

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Handling?

So how does the Propulsion and the Saber handle going uphill and down? They are beautiful bikes and I seriously looked in to getting a Propulsion before I got my Turner Flux. There was so little info out there that about the bikes that I decided to go with the Turner, it was a matter of not enought information out there to make a desicion.

Also, do your bikes come with an FSR or ICT sticker? I wonder if Azonic worked around the licencing issues with Specialized and Ellsworth (the design looks very similar to Ells and Turner).

·
customized
3,123 Posts
42hz said:
Thanx, I usually keep the PIKE on 95-110 mm and I think it hadles pretty ok, when going down hill I turn it upp to 140 and just love it! :)

I don't know how good it is for the frame but it seems to take it fine, so far..

Riding 130 all the time should work, the question probably is what the axle-to-crown measure will be? It can be trouble when pedaling up hill.

This weekend will be the first time I'll go down hill 'big' with it so let me come back with more opinions later, but the big test will be Are Mountan Mayhem 21th-31th of July:
www.mtbfreerider.com (but I'm far from hardcore DH biker!)
The Saber frame can handle 155mm in the front all day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
elmadaleno said:
So how does the Propulsion and the Saber handle going uphill and down? They are beautiful bikes and I seriously looked in to getting a Propulsion before I got my Turner Flux. There was so little info out there that about the bikes that I decided to go with the Turner, it was a matter of not enought information out there to make a desicion.

Also, do your bikes come with an FSR or ICT sticker? I wonder if Azonic worked around the licencing issues with Specialized and Ellsworth (the design looks very similar to Ells and Turner).
Azonic has been paying royalties to specialized for the FSR patents several years now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
about Propulsion ...

elmadaleno said:

I ride the Propulsion after riding a FSR bike for 3 years.
The Azonic handle VERY good. uphill, with a propedal Fox it's a great climber.
down ? this bike rocks ... very stable, very stiff. they got me buying a juicy set of brakes ...

I've compared the Propulsion to Turners (mostly 5Spot). they are very similar.

about licencing - Azonic used to pay Specialized. this year Azonic stoped selling FSR bike in th US. they sell in Europe for very low price.

Also, the fsr Azonics are made by a company called X-Tension. this company sell the same bikes under it's name.

The Propulsion (they call it X-Pilot) is replaced with a different frame this year.

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Very Interesting

TM1 said:
I ride the Propulsion after riding a FSR bike for 3 years.
The Azonic handle VERY good. uphill, with a propedal Fox it's a great climber.
down ? this bike rocks ... very stable, very stiff. they got me buying a juicy set of brakes ...

I've compared the Propulsion to Turners (mostly 5Spot). they are very similar.

about licencing - Azonic used to pay Specialized. this year Azonic stoped selling FSR bike in th US. they sell in Europe for very low price.

Also, the fsr Azonics are made by a company called X-Tension. this company sell the same bikes under it's name.

The Propulsion (they call it X-Pilot) is replaced with a different frame this year.
The X-Plore looks very much like a 5 Spot, (and of course, the Sabre), it would be interesting to hear from someone that has ridden both. Do you know the weight on the Sabre frame? I have been craving for a longer travel bike but the Wife would kill me if I blow more cash on one so this might be a solution if I sell my older bikes... (anyone interested in a 1995 GT Zascar or a 1996 956 Proflex? :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm currently building up a Saber for aggressive XC. Nice looking bike. I can't wait to get it out and play.

I can't decide on the pedals, though. Should I go clipless or would platforms be the smart way to go?

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.