Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. I have a pretty nice Azonic Recoil built up with an 888 RC2 and other cool stuff that's being offered to me quite cheaply, but it was built for downhill racing a few years ago.

my question is, can it handle freeride and stuff? Is there anything that would prevent me from using it as my only bike (meaning getting from point A to point B on the road, too) besides the weight?

Thanks a lot!
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Khemical said:
I don't think you can mount a front der. on it.
Yeah, I figured I'd put a smaller chainring up front if I really needed to.

It's like this bike frigging doesn't exist, are there any people who ride them?

If so, what do you guys think? :p
 

·
pwn3rator
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
i just sold mine. i was amazing for fast dh, and thats about it. i doesn't pedal wort a sh!t. if you set the linkage to bring the BB up and steepen the HA, then it is okay for fr stuff. btw, i had my suspension set up REALLY soft, s that is gonna change things. its a good bike though, and i rode everything on it, including 20+ mile xc loops...
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scabrider said:
i just sold mine. i was amazing for fast dh, and thats about it. i doesn't pedal wort a sh!t. if you set the linkage to bring the BB up and steepen the HA, then it is okay for fr stuff. btw, i had my suspension set up REALLY soft, s that is gonna change things. its a good bike though, and i rode everything on it, including 20+ mile xc loops...
That sounds excellent... I'm glad it can handle that.

Anyway, here's a picture of it... :D Yeah, I'm happy.

 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
I loved my Recoil...in brake bumps it outperforms my M-3

the bike is solid....the one you have there has an extra piece of metal around the seat collar (mine broke there) to make it stronger

for pedaling flats it is allright.....uphill is challenging...I would change cranks to XC...go with lighter pedals,nice wheelset but I would switch to 823's and go tubeless, change old fashion MRP and get a ti spring for the romic....all that would save you about 4 or 5 pounds....then it would be easier to peadl uphill


I have a 500 Ti-spring that I will sell for 150 bucks for that Romic shock (off my recoil) that will shave 1/2 pound at least if you want it.

Bottom line.....If I don't get an M-6 I will be looking to find this bike again from Xtension...you will be very happy and that bike looks like it is in great shape
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I loved my Recoil...in brake bumps it outperforms my M-3

the bike is solid....the one you have there has an extra piece of metal around the seat collar (mine broke there) to make it stronger

for pedaling flats it is allright.....uphill is challenging...I would change cranks to XC...go with lighter pedals,nice wheelset but I would switch to 823's and go tubeless, change old fashion MRP and get a ti spring for the romic....all that would save you about 4 or 5 pounds....then it would be easier to peadl uphill

I have a 500 Ti-spring that I will sell for 150 bucks for that Romic shock (off my recoil) that will shave 1/2 pound at least if you want it.

Bottom line.....If I don't get an M-6 I will be looking to find this bike again from Xtension...you will be very happy and that bike looks like it is in great shape
To be honest, it's taking all the willpower I've got to sell my precious gaming rig to get a bike - upgrades might be hard, however, what if someone were to trade me a 66 or Lyrik for the 888? I don't need that much travel at all, really.

Secondly, how can I get a smaller chainring up front?

Lastly, is the Romic shock any good? I've never heard of it.

Thanks a lot!
 

·
pwn3rator
Joined
·
3,640 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
To be honest, it's taking all the willpower I've got to sell my precious gaming rig to get a bike - upgrades might be hard, however, what if someone were to trade me a 66 or Lyrik for the 888? I don't need that much travel at all, really.

Secondly, how can I get a smaller chainring up front?

Lastly, is the Romic shock any good? I've never heard of it.

Thanks a lot!
romics are really great for what they are. if you don't mind not having a jillion things to adjust then this is the shock for you. simple, light, durable...
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, this evening, the guy is going to be nice enough to bring it over so I can try it out.

Since I live in a neighborhood, what would be the best way to test it out?

Ideas I've come up with:
- hit a few drops (ditches, etc)
- there's this really steep rocky hill near the road that I often ride for fun
- ride off things like curbs sitting down to get a feel for the suspension

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
So, this evening, the guy is going to be nice enough to bring it over so I can try it out.

Since I live in a neighborhood, what would be the best way to test it out?

Ideas I've come up with:
- hit a few drops (ditches, etc)
- there's this really steep rocky hill near the road that I often ride for fun
- ride off things like curbs sitting down to get a feel for the suspension

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!
bring him out for a ride on the trails... let him ride your bike...
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mrpercussive said:
bring him out for a ride on the trails... let him ride your bike...
Haha, I don't know.... what's funny is I was the one who got him into biking in the first place and recommended that he buy a Stinky....

but when he got it, the a$$hole wouldn't even let me ride it. :p

Good idea, though.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
Haha, I don't know.... what's funny is I was the one who got him into biking in the first place and recommended that he buy a Stinky....

but when he got it, the a$$hole wouldn't even let me ride it. :p

Good idea, though.
hahahaha... thats how it all starts... XD

Only way to get a real feel of the bike in real life situations... parking lot tests dont cut it. Launching of drops and stairs and doing short steep chutes can only do so much...
 

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
Joined
·
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mrpercussive said:
hahahaha... thats how it all starts... XD

Only way to get a real feel of the bike in real life situations... parking lot tests dont cut it. Launching of drops and stairs and doing short steep chutes can only do so much...
Meh, I usually have a good instinct when it comes to pavement testing... I had to test my Enduro riding up and down the street and I LOVE it.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top