Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trached my wheels a couple of days ago, its a very interesting story, but i leave that for another post. So i need a new wheelset. I'm currently running a p.o.s. stock fork from my trek 4300. and plan on getting a new fork very soon, like within a month or two. So, my fork now has qr, and i was thinking i should get one of those dandy new thru axles. thats why i was looking at the outlaws because from wut i can gather they come with a thingy that lets u run either one. wut do u think about them?

theres two sizes, 135 and 150, me being an idiot dont know wut measurements they are. u would appriciate it if someone could fill me in. I dont know wut size i need, in fact i dont understand the whole thru axle deal all together. so the basics would be nice to know...

one last thing, the outlaws are disc compatable, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey I have the outlaw wheelset and I am very pleased with it. It does come with both qr and the thru axle conversion kit. I have a azonic steelhead and I have the 135mm spacing, I think that is the size you would need but im not totally sure. They are disc compatible.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
outlaws good

MTB4Life said:
Hey I have the outlaw wheelset and I am very pleased with it. It does come with both qr and the thru axle conversion kit. I have a azonic steelhead and I have the 135mm spacing, I think that is the size you would need but im not totally sure. They are disc compatible.
I am getting a set of Outlaws for my new bike, and have heard only good things about them. I will try to weigh them before I mount them up, as the weight seems to be the one thing no one knows.
Your bike has a 135mm rear hub spacing. In general, the only bikes with 150mm or more are dh or fr rigs. The number refers to the distance b/t dropouts, so if you were to remove the rear wheel and measure, you'll see. 25.4 mm/ inch is the conversion, if you don't have a metric measuring tape.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I know the wheelset comes with a qr and a 12mm thru axle for the rear wheel.

Do they make a 10mm thru axle to fit standard qr dropouts? I really dont want to run qr in th rear of my Foes Fly.

·
Born to Ride
105 Posts
kanter said:
I know the wheelset comes with a qr and a 12mm thru axle for the rear wheel.

Do they make a 10mm thru axle to fit standard qr dropouts? I really dont want to run qr in th rear of my Foes Fly.
Azonic makes an axle that I am running with my outlaws, the momentum axle, it is a 12mm all the way through except it tapers down to a 10mm on the ends. Works great and is only like $15!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
FormulaX said:
Azonic makes an axle that I am running with my outlaws, the momentum axle, it is a 12mm all the way through except it tapers down to a 10mm on the ends. Works great and is only like $15!
Thats EXACTLY what I want. Where did you get it? I found it on their website but it doesnt say the size.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The Outlaws are my back up pair of wheels. Be careful, they rust since the inner parts are made of steel. I ran them for a few months while my CK hubs and Dee Maxx rims were being built. The inner rings on the front hub rusted and started to eat into my thru axle on my 888. I haven't taken apart the rear yet as Im waiting to get the 10mm thru axle. Spray some rust preventer in the hubs before you mount them and clean them up after you ride in water or after you wash your bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.