Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you guys give me more opinions? Old wheels: DT Swiss x1800, Slime tubes,Nevegals= 1860+620+1540=4000 grams. New Wheels: Azonic Outlaws tubeless would be 2330+120(strips)+240(sealant)+1100(tires)=3790 grams. Is this math right? My wheels should turn better than old. Thinking what tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Azonic's are nice, especially the cyan blue one, but they are heavier then your current (old) wheels. The hubs are also not as good as the DT Swiss hubs either. Unless you are in need of a stronger and heavier wheel and convertible hubs, then go with the Azonic or something similar. You could also make the DT wheels lighter by tossing those slime tubes and those boat anchors, aka, Nevagals and get a lighter tire and tubeless system (DT's system or Stan's). You can also get the Shimano XT AM wheelset that is as cheap, if not cheaper then the Azonic (eBay). That is if you need the 15mm or 20mm hub. They are lighter then the DT wheels, UST tubeless and they look pretty good too. They are center lock though, which isn't really a bad thing. Just get an adapter to run your 6 bolt rotors or buy some that fit on the center lock. Not sure what kind of riding your doing, so I can't really recommend any specific tires. Nevagals may be a really good tire for some riders, but there are better and lighter ones out there!

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I blew up the DT set in one year,LAME,

and sent 'em in. They sent 'em back still grindy. Done w/ Dt Swiss. Outlaw set seems bulletproof, but heavy. I was happy with weight of DT/Slime/Nevegal and I think I can get outlaws lighter (crazy I know ). Opinions welcome before I spend money on Stans, Strips, new 26" Ignitors? Thanks

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Outlaws arent that bad, yeah they are heavy but that is mostly because of the hubs. The rims are comparable for their width, they are about the same weight and width as the old Sun Rim Singletracks, not bad. The hubs are cheap heavy taiwan brand, which if your going to put weight on a wheel better to make it the center of the wheel then the big rotating part.

I ran outlaws for years now with Stans/Strips and love it!! Tires make a big dif as to how heavy the Outlaws feel when riding/pedaling so be smart and you wont even notice. I personally used/use WTB Weirwolf LT FR tires, 790grams w/ beefy sidewall. The best part about Stans, I weighed @ 235 and ran pressure on the WTB at front=27psi and rear=32psi and in 3 yrs never rolled or burped a tire and not one flat.

Good luck.

FWIW, my next wheelset will probably be Stans Flow rims with Hadley rear hub and a cheapo Dimension 20mm front hub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.