Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am building a "bigger" bike, kind of a step-up from my AM, mainly for those days at Northstar in the summer and maybe some local DH and light freeride trail.

On my AM I have UST rims and lately bought some Nevegal 2.35 DTC UST tires, which are a little bit overkill for that bike, don't have any clearance left on the seatstays. I got an Azonic Outlaw wheelset for my FR build and would like to use these tires. My question to you is, what is the best way to convert the Outlaws to tubeless so I can run the UST tires? Has anybody tried this before on this wheelset? Should I go Stan tubeless kit, Maxxis rimtrips, getto tubeless? I've always had UST rims before so don't have experience converting regular rims.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
David.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
I run my Outlaws tubeless, I use the Stans Freeride strips (they were free) and it werks great. I've heard great things about Ghetto so I'd start there, it's cheaper and if it werks awesome, but if it doesn't werk, then your not out to much $.

I was very skeptical about tubeless, had those strips for 2 years before trying them, but after converting I'm never going back. It amazing how much different the ride quality is. Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try ghetto then, don't know exactly how to do this. You take a BMX 20" tube, stretch it out on the rim (do I need to keep the rim tape underneath?) and then what? do I need to cut the excess out?

I'll keep searching the web see if I can find some instructions to it.

David.

RED5 said:
I run my Outlaws tubeless, I use the Stans Freeride strips (they were free) and it werks great. I've heard great things about Ghetto so I'd start there, it's cheaper and if it werks awesome, but if it doesn't werk, then your not out to much $.

I was very skeptical about tubeless, had those strips for 2 years before trying them, but after converting I'm never going back. It amazing how much different the ride quality is. Good luck.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
WheelieDrop said:
I'll try ghetto then, don't know exactly how to do this. You take a BMX 20" tube, stretch it out on the rim (do I need to keep the rim tape underneath?) and then what? do I need to cut the excess out?

I'll keep searching the web see if I can find some instructions to it.

David.
Here you go... http://www.go-ride.com/Articles/ghetto_tubeless.html :thumbsup:

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I run Outlaws Ghetto Tubeless with the following setup:

Outlaw Rims
2 Layers Rim Tape
Bontager BMX Tubes
Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR 60A
2 Scoops Stans

Make sure you have an air compressor handy, those help a lot with the setup process. Good luck, you might need some as ghetto tubeless works well with some setups, doesn't with others.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
hucker1960 said:
sry for the noob question, but what is the main difference in the ride of a tubeless tire???
i'd have to guess its stiffer, and are there any problems with a tubeless verses a tube??
Two schools of thought.. you can run lower pressures with tubless so that you'll have more grip... the other is that you can run higher pressures yet still achieve the same sidewall flex.

It really just depends on how you run your tires that determines it's ride characteristics. The only really noticeable thing is that you will have less rotating mass, and therefore quicker accelerating, quicker turning, and quicker stopping wheels, more traction-action, and no chance of pinch-flatting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i converted mrpercussive's outlaw rims to ghetto tubeless for him. he seems to be loving it. i also run ghetto tubeless and would never go back to tubes on my mountain bikes. i did have to do a ride with a tube after using ghetto tubeless, and it just felt like a drag to pedal all day.

thanks madman for posting my links :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.