Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got the 08 azonic outlaw's white on black couple weeks ago, did 5 runs and this is what happened today on both front and rear rims at the same time, the tubes didn't puncture, but the tires and rim are now bulging out where the rim bent.... didn't case any jumps either.

Im only 150lbs, on a small demo 8 II ( 42 pounds ). Im running 2.5 Maxxis Minion's with double thick DH tubes at 30-35psi

Are they just complete cheap-o rims? has any one else had problems with them? should i have a shop fix them or should i just bend them myself. I never really had any problems with my old rims and I have no clue how to true a rim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joelalamo45 said:
You can't true that....

Are you POSITIVE that you didn't smash those on rocks due to seriously low tire pressure? Everybody I know that has run those rims swears they're bombproof.
right now the front is 32 and the back is 33, the weird thing that it is on both rims. the front is bent in and the back rim is bent out. Im guessing this really isnt covered under warranty. haha

here are the tubes, i figured they would of pinched if it bent the rim that bad
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TU707A05-Maxxis+Schraeder+Dh+Tube.aspx

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Can you send 'em back for warranty? If not, do what I did. I have an old set of Supergo Launch FR wheels that from what I understand were built with the same Alex rims that the Azonics are made with. I have the exact same bulge on my rim after hitting a rock hard at speed. I took a piece of wood and placed it under the bead and hammered on the rim as best I could to get it straight. It looks like azz but I was able to get about three more years out of that rim.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Khemical said:
Can you send 'em back for warranty? If not, do what I did. I have an old set of Supergo Launch FR wheels that from what I understand were built with the same Alex rims that the Azonics are made with. I have the exact same bulge on my rim after hitting a rock hard at speed. I took a piece of wood and placed it under the bead and hammered on the rim as best I could to get it straight. It looks like azz but I was able to get about three more years out of that rim.
nice.. You use a rubber mallet or a hammer? The rims were $260 ( all i could afford ), so I gotta do something to get more use out of them. Did you rim need to be trued after?

thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
thats what rims do when you ride on them they get bent, my brand new DeeTrax looked far worse than that after a weekend a Diablo, they were less thatn a week old. but that outlaw is still ride-able just watch for stress cracking

keep riding them watch for cracking, then get new rims and repeat

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
blifereal000 said:
nice.. You use a rubber mallet or a hammer? The rims were $260 ( all i could afford ), so I gotta do something to get more use out of them. Did you rim need to be trued after?

thanks
Yeah, use a steel hammer. Just make sure the inside of the rim is supported very well, you don't want to damage the area where the tire bead sits. Whack on it hard :thumbsup: and then yeah, get it trued.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
That's what my MTX's looked like after a day of riding. After a year the back was dented over 30 times and I didn't straighten them out anymore due to the softening when I bent them back.

Instead of the hammer and wood., try an adjustable wrench. It worked for me for a year! You won't dammage the bead either.

Fahn

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Kjcorley said:
Those rims are toast. That's due to running too low of air pressure.
Those rims are not toast - they're just nicely broken in now. ;) I ran outlaws for a season of dh racing and dinged mine way worse than that in a couple practice runs at Angelfire, 1st day of lift assisted riding on 'em. Straighten them with a crescent wrench and check your spoke tension. The rims are soft (like WTB, DT and Sun), which means they bend, not break, and on all of the rims I listed, they mostly would just ding and not really even go out of true or round. I ran mine dinged to heck for the rest of the season (ghetto tubeless, no less) with no problems. They don't look pretty, but they don't have to - they're dh wheels...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.