Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sublime Absurdity
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am fed up with star fangled nuts - the last one didn't even lock itself into the head tube and when I tried tightening the stem down it slowly crawled back up the tube! I have looked at a couple alternatives (USE ringo star and some supergo equiv) and both of them were beyond useless - the ringo star must have been 1" cause it didn't even fit. Both of these alternatives do not help to synch the stem down so I don't even understand what the point is - I thought that bolting the stem to the steertube was the retention mechanism?

Anyway, I am looking at the Azonic Headlock as it seems to be a better method, but I am concerned about added weight - anyone know?

Also, I am open to other suggestions for ditching the stupid starnuts.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
How can you say the USE Ringo-Go-Star is beyond useless when you haven't even tried the correct size ?

If you tighten your headset up with the Azonic Headlock, you can then tighten the stem and remove the Headlock if you are worried about the extra weight.

The great thing about the Ringostar is that it only weighs 16 grams and is very easy to adjust.
 

·
Sublime Absurdity
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
�Ty� said:
How can you say the USE Ringo-Go-Star is beyond useless when you haven't even tried the correct size ?

If you tighten your headset up with the Azonic Headlock, you can then tighten the stem and remove the Headlock if you are worried about the extra weight.
Because the USE works the same way as the supergo weyless thing I tried and I don't even get the point as it does not adjust the headset/stem at all.

I have thought about doing as you suggest and tightening the headset up with a nut/bolt washer setup that would do the same thing as the Hadlock, but I am worried that I might need to adjust it on the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
sodade said:
Because the USE works the same way as the supergo weyless thing I tried and I don't even get the point as it does not adjust the headset/stem at all.

I have thought about doing as you suggest and tightening the headset up with a nut/bolt washer setup that would do the same thing as the Hadlock, but I am worried that I might need to adjust it on the trail.
Well looks like you have run out of options!

You cannot get a USE/weyless thing to work.
You cannot get a Star Nut to work.
And you do not want the additional weight of a Hadlock (sic).

Maybe convert to a quill stem with a wedge expander ?

I have just installed my forks by pulling up my fork and pushing down my stem, tightening the stem bolts, and then giving my Ring-Go-Star a few turns, works flawlessly everytime, not quite sure what kind of trouble you have been having with this system.
 

·
dirtbag
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
FSA or Hope

Outta the 5 bikes I have, only one of em's got a star nut. All the others have one of those FSA CONIX, think nowadays they're simply called compressor bolts on the FSA website. They used to come with the FSA headsets, are reusable and a whole heck of lot easier to work with than a star nut. They work like a charm and do it's intended job.

HOPE also makes a similar product. I can't vouch for it, never used one but the concept is the same.
 

·
Sublime Absurdity
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I got an Azonic Headlock.
Weight for the 7.5" version is 112gr
Starnut, bolt and CK topcap is 28gr
Weyless expander is 39gr
Ringo Star is 21.4

Starnuts suck period. Ringo star increases your stack height - not a problem for a new build where you are confident that you like it. The Weyless expander is a little heavy compared to the starnut (anybody know lighter expanders?), The Azonic is heavy as hell. On a DH bike I'd call it a no brainer, but I am going to just use it to synch down the headset (for some reason, all of my CK headsets are hard to get the top slider part down tight by hand). Then I will put on an expander - hopefully, someone will point out one that weighs less than the weyless. (pun intended)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
sodade said:
OK I got an Azonic Headlock.
Weight for the 7.5" version is 112gr
Starnut, bolt and CK topcap is 28gr
Weyless expander is 39gr
Ringo Star is 21.4
With the ring-go-star you do not need to use a top cap, well at least not the one supplied, the expanding part only weighs 16g if used without a top cap.
 

Attachments

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
I think Ty is right here (He usually is and even I hate to admit that :p ). There are lighter expander plugs if that is what you are set on. I think an expander plug is a safe light solution even if its not as light as the use. Then again I have no problem with a SFN. Anywho, when I think expander plug, the Extralite ultrastar comes to mind at 8g or so. I know your fork isnt CF, but it should still work no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
I think Ty is right here (He usually is and even I hate to admit that :p ).
:p LOL !

TheRedMantra, just found 4 brand new Klein headset spacers (oversized for MC2 - MC3 etc) in a couple of sizes, any use to you and your 'Kleinquest' ? no charge, I will just stick them in the post.

email me if you are interested.

Cheers

Ty
 

·
Sublime Absurdity
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
�Ty� said:
With the ring-go-star you do not need to use a top cap, well at least not the one supplied, the expanding part only weighs 16g if used without a top cap.
That is interesting considering that the top cap that came with my ring-go-star was the one part that was 1" where the rest was 1 1/8" (yes, I have the o ring on the lowest slot). So Ty, do you just leave the top off? I guess that would be like a glass bottom boat or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
sodade said:
That is interesting considering that the top cap that came with my ring-go-star was the one part that was 1" where the rest was 1 1/8" (yes, I have the o ring on the lowest slot). So Ty, do you just leave the top off? I guess that would be like a glass bottom boat or something.
I use the Ring-Go-Star but not the top cap, it is too heavy for me at 8g ;)

Sure you can use it without a top cap, you can watch your front wheel going around through the steerer tube, if you count the treads going past and know the exact diameter of your wheel you can use the hole as a speedometer ;)

Even using a standard star nut and topcap/bolt system, once you have tensioned your headset and clamped your stem into place you can remove the star nut and top cap + bolt. With he ring-go-star removing the top cap does not remove your ability to tension the headset.

I made my own top cap from an off cut of a EC90SL carbon handle bar and an old (1997) Klein plastic logo + a little bit of tape and some glue.

Ty
 

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top