Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freeskier and I were wanting to hit the Skyline at BCT this weekend,but the weather, again, looked like it wasn't going to play nice, so we knocked out a big ride on South Mountain we've been talking about. Our route cut right to the chase - from 46th, took Beverly Canyon - National - Marker 33 - Bees Knees - Gila - Road - DC - East Loops. National from BV and the 33 Ridgeline would be new to me. The weather was great, and it felt good to be on the bike all day.

I can't believe I've never been on Natty from BV because that piece was a blast, all the way down to Telegraph. Really some good stuff. I loved it and can't wait to get some more. It was rolly, exposed, techy, smooth, and grin inducing - it had everything. I can't wait to get back up there.

The antennas start kinda far away.

But eventually get closer.

Until you're there.

Looks flowy but there was a mean techy rock section right in the middle. I took my chances on some, but others I didn't.

I don't get on this side of the mountain enough, really.

National after Telegraph Pass. There was plenty of HAB this day. The rock looks like its pouring out of the mountain. Almost up to 33.

Here's a rare shot of the towers.

The Marker 33 ridgeline was sublime. Going down off the face of the earth, white-knuckling.

SoMo's largest rock cairn.

Thisis one of the nicer switchbacks but there were others with much greater consequence.

Freeskier staring at the upcoming switchback.

If this trail is anything, its precipitous. I felt myself getting pulled off every swithback. The clown wheels did not help me here. I felt really tall and exposed as I approached each tight, rock strewn switchback.

Coming down in a hurry. Its about 900 feet in 1.5 miles.

After that, we hooked up with Bees Knees and Gila for a little loop, then back to DC and the cars. What a great day!

30 miles, 5600ft and 8 hours.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good pictures.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Unless you have ridden at SMP I don't think you realize what a great Epic that was!! Great job guys!! And all in the middle of the city!

·
Granny Gear Abuser
98 Posts
Nice lookin ride and trail!! I bet that is a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jazzguitarplayer said:
Whats the trail winding down the mountain in the last pic?
That is the Marker 33 turn-off from National, just west of Telegraph Pass. Some folks call the trail 620, others Marker 33.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts